Handmade Nesting Dolls
Good Word ››
Today's Good Word
Good Word Archive
Good Word Dictionary
Dr. GW's Office ››
Grammar and Style
Fun & Games ››
Fun & Games
Send this Page to a Friend!
Share this page
German False Friends
Here is a challenging game that is a lot of fun. If you are learning German, it will also help you distinguish "false friends" (false cognates), those confusing German words that look like English words but mean something entirely different.
Each of the following sentences contains one of those words that look exactly an English word. The sentence itself is a hint as to which word it is. So, here is all you have to do:
Find the word in each sentence that is also a German word;
Write the English translation in the box to the right.
Press the question mark;
Find out if you identified the correct word.
Click here for the French version.
Click here for the Spanish version.
Find the German Word
Right or Wrong?
What was the only bad thing in the hotel Otto stayed in?
NOW TRY SOME YOURSELF
1. Dick couldn't bite the sandwich because it was too what?
2. Who was kind to Ursula when she lost her purse?
3. What did Franz forget when he left the hut with his friends?
4. What did Gerhardt drink before approaching the bier of his dear departed uncle?
5. What became wetter as the day wore on?
6. Renate drove very fast to the wedding. Did she make it?
7. What did the gift that the witch left for Gretchen have in it?
8. What destroyed Kristin and Karl's brand new house?
9. What was Hans spreading on his field despite the heavy morning mist?
10. Gertrude is a rotten rat but she gives good what?
11. What kind of book does Roman prefer to read above all others?
12. What did the Schultz family see on vacation this summer?
13. What is handy to have when you need to call someone from your car?
14. What did Willi wet when he dropped the hose this morning?
15. How did the big bang make Fritz feel?
JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH!?!
16. What was the size of that utterly gross garage Johann built for himself?
17. If Ludwig's new house cost Werner an arm and a leg, how did it leave him?
18. What did Marina find behind a rock in the park?
19. What was the wink that Heinrich gave Annigrette supposed to be?
20. What was Gunnar wearing when he was smoking last night?
, and other networking sites.
Other Resources You Might Enjoy
For more Word Fun, check out our Word Games Page
created just for you!
Dr. Goodword's Essay on Rhyming Compounds
The alphaDictionary Glossary of Rhyming Compounds (by category)
The alphaDictionary Rebel-Yankee Test
has been enjoyed by more than 3 million people. See what all the excitement is about.
Dr. Goodword's Glossary of Quaint Southernisms
If you enjoyed the Rebel-Yankee test, you will probably enjoy these linguistic differences between North and South.
Dr. Goodword's Mini Linguistic Course.
Learn the basics of language from a professor of linguistics in an hour.
Dictionaries, Glossaries, and Word Lists.
Lists of words that are problems to spell, pronounce, and remember—all by a widely published and respected specialist.
Discuss accents and dialects with others.
Now you can talk with others who have taken our test about your accent and theirs. You might want to talk about other topics, too, at our Alpha Agora.
While you are here, check out our daily "
So What's the Good Word
We select an interesting word and tell you all about it - how to say it, what it means, where it comes from, and how to use it.
You can have it delivered to your email inbox daily, for free!
Miss Spelling's Center
Dr. Goodword's Office
Today's Good Word
All Rights Reserved.