Good Word ››
Today's Good Word
Good Word Archive
Good Word Dictionary
Dr. GW's Office ››
Grammar and Style
Fun & Games ››
Fun & Games
Send this Page to a Friend!
Share this page
Spanish False Friends
Here is a challenging game that is a lot of fun. If you are learning Spanish, it will also help you distinguish "false friends" (false cognates), those confusing Spanish words that look like English words but mean something entirely different.
Each of the following sentences contains one of those words that look exactly an English word. The sentence itself is a hint as to which word it is. So, here is all you have to do:
Find the word in each sentence that is also a Spanish word;
Write the English translation in the box to the right.
Press the question mark;
Find out if you identified the correct word.
Click here for the French version.
Click here for the German version.
Find the Spanish Word
Right or Wrong?
What kind of voice did Matilda have that made her a bad alto singer?
NOW TRY SOME YOURSELF
1. What did Julio think the Sierra Madre looked like?
2. What does mama cook papa for supper every night?
3. What did they spread all over the floor of the arena?
4. What did Shiela wear under the collar of her blouse?
5. Is the mayor older or younger than his assistant?
6. What is Rico's financial status? He is _____.
7. What did Rosa mess up by cooking it in a pan?
8. Harvey once found how many mushrooms in his back yard?
9. What did Pedro drop a piece of pie on?
10. What does Manuel do when he manages to come to Esteban's house?
11. What kind of book does Roman love to read most of all?
12. Under what kind of tree did Manuel sit to mix his sauce?
13. What was Paco Marino when he served in the military?
14. What will Pedro do with the paint after he puts away the paint remover?
15. What was on Amanda's agenda to write in that night?
JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH!?!
16. What did the media criticize the movie star for?
17. What was so wrong with George's apples that made him destroy an acre of them?
18. What was wrong with Juan that led him to his ruin?
19. What did Jose catch fish with that was red?
20. Paulo is rather formal but he is also what?
, and other networking sites.
Other Resources You Might Enjoy
For more Word Fun, check out our Word Games Page
created just for you!
Dr. Goodword's Essay on Rhyming Compounds
The alphaDictionary Glossary of Rhyming Compounds (by category)
The alphaDictionary Rebel-Yankee Test
has been enjoyed by more than 3 million people. See what all the excitement is about.
Dr. Goodword's Glossary of Quaint Southernisms
If you enjoyed the Rebel-Yankee test, you will probably enjoy these linguistic differences between North and South.
Dr. Goodword's Mini Linguistic Course.
Learn the basics of language from a professor of linguistics in an hour.
Dictionaries, Glossaries, and Word Lists.
Lists of words that are problems to spell, pronounce, and remember—all by a widely published and respected specialist.
Discuss accents and dialects with others.
Now you can talk with others who have taken our test about your accent and theirs. You might want to talk about other topics, too, at our Alpha Agora.
While you are here, check out our daily "
So What's the Good Word
We select an interesting word and tell you all about it - how to say it, what it means, where it comes from, and how to use it.
You can have it delivered to your email inbox daily, for free!
Miss Spelling's Center
Dr. Goodword's Office
Today's Good Word
All Rights Reserved.