KETCHUP

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

KETCHUP

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:19 am

• ketchup •

Pronunciation: ke-chêp • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun, mass (no plural)

Meaning: Originally, ketchup was 1. a sauce made from the juice of mushrooms, walnuts, tomatoes, vinegar, and other ingredients, and used as a condiment with meat or fish. In the US, however, it has become 2. a thick, sweet tomato paste.

Notes: This borrowed word has worried English-speakers to the point that we have tried to make sense of it by converting it into a compound comprising recognizable English words, cat+sup (the process is called 'folk etymology'). Both spellings are accepted these days but maybe we need both words, ketchup for the original fish sauce and catsup for the tomato paste so widely enjoyed in North America. Unfortunately, that is not likely to happen since in 1981 the Reagan administration declared ketchup (spelled this way) a vegetable for the purposes of school lunch programs. As a result, all ketchup manufacturers in the US changed the spelling of catsup to ketchup to avoid losing sales.

In Play: Because of its bright red color, American ketchup is easy to spot and easy to mistake for other substances: "If that is ketchup on your collar, the woman you were necking with must have been eating a hamburger!" Long before President Reagan, people of little means had figured out that ketchup was a vegetable: "For lunch I had a bowl of tomato soup made of a half bottle of ketchup and hot water."

Word History: This fascinating word came to us from Dutch ketjap, borrowed from Malay kechap "fish sauce". The original Malaysian sauce contained no tomatoes but fish brine and local herbs and spices. The Malaysians may have picked the word up from a word in the the Amoy dialect of Chinese, kê-tsiap "brine of pickled fish", but this is unclear. The important point is that in the 18th and 19th centuries ketchup was a generic term for sauces whose only common ingredient was vinegar. (Katy Brezger thought that this word would add a little spice to our Good Word series.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:40 pm

So, if ketchup is a vegetable, why isn't wine a fruit? I bet the kids would love that change!

As my father used to say when finishing lunch in the faculty dining room, "Time to get my vegetables." He'd then come back with a slice of carrot cake.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

saparris
Wordmaster

Postby saparris » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:35 pm

Had I made a guess, I would have guessed that "ketchup" was an attempt to spell "catsup" so that the spelling better matched the pronunciation.

Obviously, my guess would have been wrong.

Perhaps my penchant for mustard has resulted in my woeful ignorance of the etymology of ketchup, which I don't eat regardless of the spelling.
Ars longa, vita brevis

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:02 pm

And so you aren't eating your vegetables??
Maybe Mustard is a fruit. Which do you put on your
okra???
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

saparris
Wordmaster

Postby saparris » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:13 pm

And so you aren't eating your vegetables?? Maybe Mustard is a fruit.
Steak contains remnants of corn and grass, which is my preferred method of vegetable ingestion.
Which do you put on your okra???
Butter if it's boiled. Corn meal if it's fried. However, I have seen people put ketchup on fried okra. I just haven't seen me do it.
Ars longa, vita brevis

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:41 pm

Butter if it's boiled. Corn meal if it's fried. However, I have seen people put ketchup on fried okra. I just haven't seen me do it.
_

And that would be vegetable on vegetable.

saparris
Wordmaster

Postby saparris » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:34 pm

If I remember correctly, the FDA disqualified ketchup as a vegetable not long after the major food manufacturers changed catsup to ketchup so that they could sell to school lunch programs.

I believe that Del Monte was the only major player still clinging to catsup in 1981, and I don't think they bothered to change the product back to ketchup.

Now, I think ketchup is back to being a condiment.
Ars longa, vita brevis

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:20 pm

Poor condiment. No wonder it's bloody red, such a
bloody history.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”