NIGGARDLY

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:33 pm

Actually, I prefer "my stomach is upset" to more descriptive, base terms!

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:39 pm

ok but my mother's generation uses that term for abdominal cramps presaging diarrhea. So I think I'll stick with urpy.

mark

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:11 pm

...mark IOW he makes me want to hurl, I am just not young enough to use the colorful slang used for vomiting now. I prefer urpy to vomit or nausea.
I found "vomitrocious" as an adjective in How to Eat Like a Child. Although this word is purportedly for 12 year old boys, I rather like it, and have found many opportunities to use it in conversation. Interestingly, no one has ever had to ask what it means. :wink:
-gailr

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:15 pm

Urp(as used by Bill Cosby)=technicolor yawn...(there are SO many choices here!)
I don't think that's it. Maybe Bailey meant that but in the Cosby piece- I can't retrieve the whole routine, but it had something to do with what happens when his wife is "urped".
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:24 pm

...mark IOW he makes me want to hurl, I am just not young enough to use the colorful slang used for vomiting now. I prefer urpy to vomit or nausea.
I found "vomitrocious" as an adjective in How to Eat Like a Child. Although this word is purportedly for 12 year old boys, I rather like it, and have found many opportunities to use it in conversation. Interestingly, no one has ever had to ask what it means. :wink:
-gailr
But the important question is: can it get you a reprimand on your permanent record??

Roman Senator: Where be your mistress, Clithora?
Roman Slave: In the vomitorium, recycling her breakfast...
---Proctor & Bergman, "The Declining Fall of the Roaming Umpire", TV or not TV (1973)

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:14 am

sorry, I used it as urpy because I've heard others say it, Only later did I hear it attributed to Cosby.

mark

kb

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:30 am

Actually, I prefer "my stomach is upset" to more descriptive, base terms!
Or, you can say it as I do: "praying to the porcelain gods" or "getting rid of a bad investment". I made this last comment while excusing myself once from a family get-together. Upon my return, my cousin asked me If I finally went to kill my husband :shock: I said "no, that would have been waste management" do not get the two confused(with a deadpan look on my face). ...and then again, maybe I should go back to bed and stop posting things while sleepwalking... :roll:
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:39 pm

You are funy Huny. I don't know why we don't have a deadpan smiley. :?
Of course REAL MEN don't actually vomit but feeling urpy is ok, if you are sufficiently provoked.

mark

kb

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:38 pm

In case some of you haven't listened to it.
Languages rule!

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Postby Palewriter » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:17 am

Moving back somewhat ON TOPIC:

What about the expression "in a coon's age?"

According to this article the phrase began as a simple reference to the longevity of the raccoon, and was then borrowed by racist a$$holes to the point where, today, we pretty much can't use the expression anymore. Just like 'niggardly', in fact. I hate when that happens.

In my view, it's time to reclaim such words and phrases into the normal, non-racist vernacular. It seems like a shame to forfeit them simply because of some nitwits.

-- PW
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:06 am

Moving back somewhat ON TOPIC:

What about the expression "in a coon's age?"

According to this article the phrase began as a simple reference to the longevity of the raccoon, and was then borrowed by racist a$$holes to the point where, today, we pretty much can't use the expression anymore. Just like 'niggardly', in fact. I hate when that happens.

In my view, it's time to reclaim such words and phrases into the normal, non-racist vernacular. It seems like a shame to forfeit them simply because of some nitwits.

-- PW
True enuf, but it seems the word 'coon is the culprit rather than the phrase. No idea how that association came about but it shouldn't prevent the phrase.

On the other hand, the Louisiana Cajun who proudly counts himself (it's never a herself) as a coonass does make me start looking for the nearest conversational emergency offramp. That's one word I wouldn't mind extinguishing itself.

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:32 am

I appears to me many of these words we have been discussing (and others that are seldom in play anymore) have been segued out of play by a more ignorant society. I think much of this is due in part to the pressure to be a more "p.c." society (and a fear of the past, I might add). To me this falls under the same umbrella that does not allow God to be present in public anymore. This takes the romance out of what we call America today: the "English" language, the freedom of religion and freedom of speech to name a few. So, not only are people like me afraid to excercise our right to freedom of speech in public ergo the freedom to say any damn word I choose and talk about God while I'm at it..., but now I must try not to trip over the the rules of being "p.c.". Sorry, but that just doesn't sit well with me. This reeks of communism. ...Okay, maybe that was taking it a bit far... A good example is P.W.'s use of the term "a coon's age". I have heard many a southerner use this term, but I never thought It could be derogatory in any way until now.That may be due in part to where I was raised. Now there is one more thing for me to be paranoid about while living here in Georgia thanks to some "racist a$$holes" as was so well put by P.W. Right on, P.W.! Oops, maybe that was a bit to derogatory, how about, "way to go, P.W.? Oh, maybe that's not good either..... :? :? Pardon me while I run to the bedside commode (not pecan) to grab my antacid, this is making me feel a little urpy. Oh, no, maybe that wasn't right either...Oh, I give up!
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:51 am

...(and a fear of the past, I might add). [/i]
Bingo!

ps Huny I'm disappointed not to be served more of your vomitorious euphemisms :(

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:24 pm

...(and a fear of the past, I might add). [/i]
Bingo!

ps Huny I'm disappointed not to be served more of your vomitorious euphemisms :(

Sorry, I guess I had my game face on. The subject did make my guts roil and I thought I was going toss my c :roll: :roll: kies.

My ADD just kicked in: Did ya'll know the word shoplift was in the dictionary? This really surprised me. Our languague is becomming nothing but gang--oh, I mean slang talk!! I guess they felt they needed to add it to the dictionary so when someone steals bits and pieces our language from us, and replaces it with garbage, we will know what to call them. Or maybe five finger discounters would be better, or how about 100% off sale seekers?...

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:38 pm

But then, I was taken to a conference room and reprimanded for using the word commensurate. I was led to believe that the incident would go into my PERMANENT RECORD.

-gailr :D :shock: :D
It seems that the punishment is not commensurate with the crime.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Return to “Good Word Discussion”