SUBDOLOUS

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

SUBDOLOUS

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:58 pm

• subdolous •

Pronunciation: sêb-dê-lês • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: Sly, crafty, devious, surreptitiously deceptive.

Notes: Today's Good Word sleeps with others of its ilk beginning with sub- "under, beneath" and referring to suspicious behavior; I have in mind now words like: subterfuge, suspicious and sub rosa. The adverb for today's adjective is subdolously and the noun subdolousness is preferable to subdolosity.

In Play: Today's Good Word can refer to underhanded activities: "Prohibition failed due to the subdolous supply of alcohol the underworld imported and distributed almost at will." However, it is equally at home with innocence: "No one noticed that Winfred's hand had subdolously sought and found Emmanuel's beneath the table."

Word History: The Latin preposition sub "(from) under, below" was very similar to super "over, above", differing mostly in the -er suffix. In Greek, however, these two prepositions came out as hyper and hypo, with an expectable replacement of [s] by [h]. We see these two words in English words like hypersensitive "oversensitive" and hypodermic, the needle that goes under the skin. Both the "over" and "under" word seem to have begun with [s], yet in the Germanic languages we find offspring like German über "over" and English over for super while the root corresponding to sub is now Geman auf "on" and English up, from the original meaning "from under". Why the Germanic words have no initial [s] sound is a mystery. (The suggester of today's Good Word, however, is no mystery but the subdolous Mark Bailey, a Senior Lexiterian in the Alpha Agora.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:32 pm

The good Doctors explanations are usually excellent. In this case I would have liked to see a bit more about dolous, although the exegesis on sub was interesting.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Dolous

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:43 pm

Rarely used and not very recently. Also spelled dolose There is a legal term, the original Latin, dolus used in two expressions, dolus malus "bad deceit" and, wouldn't you know it, dolus bonus "good, acceptable deceit".

Subdolous isn't very common, either, but is occurs more often and has been published more recently than dolous.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:04 pm

and, wouldn't you know it, dolus bonus "good, acceptable deceit".
"Talk to me baby. Tell me lies."

Thanks for the info! 8)
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:57 pm

Euphemism:
dolus bonus or dolus malus?

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:41 am

now I'm crafty and decitful, yeah well ya'll don't know the half of it.

Mark Sly-crafty-devious-surreptitiously-deceptive Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:48 pm

From the Luciferous Logolepsy

dolus bonus
phr. - good deceit: in roman and civil law, permissible bargaining and cunning in selling, as in the case of a merchant's over-praising of his products

dolus malus
phr. - evil deceit: in roman and civil law, unlawful deceit or misrepresentation growing out of evil intent or malice
In either case, caveat emptor.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:56 pm

call me crazy but I keep seeing dolorous when I see this word. Of course if I deceive you and you buy my product you might be feeling a bit dolorous.

mark call-me-crazy-anyway Bailey

kb

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: SUBDOLOUS

Postby Stargzer » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:06 am

[
. . . Word History: The Latin preposition sub "(from) under, below" . . . (The suggester of today's Good Word, however, is no mystery but the subdolous Mark Bailey, a Senior Lexiterian in the Alpha Agora.)
Are Bailey's henchmen his subdudes?
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: SUBDOLOUS

Postby Bailey » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:15 am

[
. . . Word History: The Latin preposition sub "(from) under, below" . . . (The suggester of today's Good Word, however, is no mystery but the subdolous Mark Bailey, a Senior Lexiterian in the Alpha Agora.)
Are Bailey's henchmen his subdudes?
henchmen? yup!
Mark topdude Bailey

kb

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:02 pm

Pssst, Bailey: henchmen are sooo last millenium. All the cool kids now have henchpersons.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”