CHTHONIC

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

CHTHONIC

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:32 pm

• chthonic •

Pronunciation: thahn-nik • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: 1. Dwelling in or under the earth. 2. Related to the underworld of ancient gods and spirits who tend to be evil.

Notes: Today's Good Word begins with a silent CH, something unusual for the language. However, these letters are silent only at the beginning of the word. If the word is prefixed, they are pronounced [k], as in autochthonic [aw-tahk-thah-nik] "indigenous", as the Cherokees, Croatans, and Chippewas are among the autochthonic peoples of North America. (Autochthonous is OK, too.)

In Play: You can find many places in conversations for the literal sense of today's Good Word: "Since my workshop is in the basement, I remain in close contact with several little chthonic creatures that co-inhabit my house." Its metaphorical undertones require a bit more subtlety: "Mickey is an affable enough fellow but I sense a chthonic layer in his humor that makes me uneasy."

Word History: Today's Good Word comes from Greek khthon "earth, ground" which was derived from the PIE root *dhghem- "earth, ground". This same root gave us chameleon from Greek khamaileon "ground lion" made up of chamai "on the ground" + leon "lion". Chamomile, as in chamomile tea, started out as Greek khamaimelon "ground apple", made up of the same chamai + melon "apple". In Latin this same root became humus "earth", which underlies derived humus, humble, and humid. One last related stem is Latin homo "person, man" that underlies not only homicide but also homage. It went on to become homme in French and hombre in Spanish. (Thanks to a semichthonic spirit of the Alpha Agora, Roger "Sluggo" Pyle, for bringing today's lowly word to the surface.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:18 am

Thanks for a great expansion, Doc; most interesting and just the chtonic for boredom there I go again...
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

portokalos
Junior Lexiterian

Postby portokalos » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:03 am

Yes, very good analysis. I’m imprested.
I start to improve my ancient greek here and to know the etymology of many words we use today in Greece.
"What is hell?" I maintain that it is the suffering of being unable to love.
Fyodor Dostoevsky-The Brothers Karamazov

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:25 am

Thanks for a great expansion, Doc; most interesting and just the chtonic for boredom there I go again...
Actually, your avatar is just the chtonic for boredom. Every time I look at it I crack up.

Great word in any event. Are domestically produced cars also autochthonic? 8)

BTW, maybe we should ask Lucy or Pigpen what are the nutritional values of chthonic pies?
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:19 pm

Can the Subchdominant be far behind?

Or is it Chsubdominant...?

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:38 pm

Great word suggestion, sluggo.

From the ancients (Set, Hades) to Western pop culture (Batman, The Shadow, et al), the cthonic [hero] has a recurrent, enduring appeal. Jung, anyone?

-gailr

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: CHTHONIC

Postby Stargzer » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:04 am

• chthonic •

Pronunciation: thahn-nik • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: 1. Dwelling in or under the earth. 2. Related to the underworld of ancient gods and spirits who tend to be evil.

Notes: Today's Good Word begins with a silent CH, something unusual for the language. However, these letters are silent only at the beginning of the word. If the word is prefixed, they are pronounced [k], as in autochthonic [aw-tahk-thah-nik] "indigenous", as the Cherokees, Croatans, and Chippewas are among the autochthonic peoples of North America. (Autochthonous is OK, too.)

I wonder if H. P. Lovecraft borrowed from this word when creating Chthulhu?
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

portokalos
Junior Lexiterian

Postby portokalos » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:13 am

There is here the word kata-chthonios

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:40 am

There is here the word kata-chthonios
Does it have similar meaning to chtonic?

I can't help noticing similarity to English catatonic, on which I've resisted punning so far...

but then it's not fourth down yet...

portokalos
Junior Lexiterian

Postby portokalos » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:50 am

Kata gives move to the ground.
Hypo-chthonic is something under the ground
the end -ios gives that attribute to a male person

Return to “Good Word Discussion”