Harebrained

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:14 pm

I used to live in an area where we had rabbits, jack rabbits (hares) and snowshoe hares...while I believe most folks knew there was a difference, we pretty well called them all jack rabbits--but some differenciated the latter by calling them snowshoes...
We, too, had the occasional jackalope!

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:49 am

Mounted jackalope skulls were marketed to the credulous and the amused when I lived in South Dakota. I was also enchanted to see a jackalope glyph appearing in your link; I've never encountered that symbol before.

Personally, I tend to think of rabbits as domesticated and hares as wild; this is hardly scientific, though.

If you're looking for appropriate joints, not all rabbetsare ordered by the brace.

gailr
who did once send a newbie for the rabbet stretchers...
Wow, you can get rebates on joints?!
Cut my legs and call me doobie! Who needs social security?

-Sluggo, among-the-credulous-years-ago-though-I-never-bought-a-skull,-just-a-postcard,-but-in-any-case-would-have-seen-right-through-the-stretchers-as-a-variation-on-the-old-cheese-straightener-routine-thank-you-very-much
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:20 am

I always thought that ham was a Roman Catholic institution, they do have a history of thumbing their noses at Jews forgetting their own hero [actually heroine as they don't prefer the son but the mother] was one. I'll skip the lamb, as do most modern Jews who usually eat chicken, I hear. There are few animal sacrifices in a world where animal "rights" activists have gone wild. Turkey is a good spring meal as well.

mark traditionally-it's-both-rarebit-and-rabbit Bailey
Not so much thumbing the nose as emphasizing the break between the Old Law and the New Law, i. e., ham is not Kosher, but Christianity is not bound by Jewish Law, dietary or otherwise. Christ is our Pascal Sacrifice, the Lamb of God.

And we don't prefer the mother to the Son. We worship the Son of God; we pray to the mother of God to intervene on our behalf.

Several years ago, when she was still driving, my mother (who is devoted to Mary and to the Holy Spirit) was driving her pastor somewhere. When they came to the parking lot she told him she always said a "Hail Mary" to find a parking place. The next time he rode with her, when they pulled into the parking lot, the priest prayed "Hail, Mary, full of grace, help us find a parking place." You probably have to be Catholic to really find that funny. :wink:

On a related note, I don't think you have to be a Protestant to sport the bumper sticker that proclaims "My boss is a Jewish carpenter."
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:00 am

That ham is from interaction with the Greeks and others who had separate traditions (one of which, btw, was raising pigs--which they considered a suitable offering to the Mother). As Gzer noted, adopting a new set of dietary regulations was a part of breaking one set of traditions into two. At the same time, it was a synthesis of two previously separate traditions into something new.

-gailr

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:09 am

A resident of Jerusalem is driving about, desperately seeking a parking place. He raises his eyes heavenward and supplicates, "Almighty G-d. If you will just help me find a parking place, I will keep Kosher and the Sabbath, I will attend synagogue and be a better person."

He then looks about, and lo and behold, finds a perfect parking place. He then quickly looks up and says, "Never mind, I managed on my own!"
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:18 am

That ham is from interaction with the Greeks and others who had separate traditions (one of which, btw, was raising pigs--which they considered a suitable offering to the Mother). As Gzer noted, adopting a new set of dietary regulations was a part of breaking one set of traditions into two. At the same time, it was a synthesis of two previously separate traditions into something new.
He then looks about, and lo and behold, finds a perfect parking place. He then quickly looks up and says, "Never mind, I managed on my own!"
This is why I'm not into religions. too watered down and hypoticritical.
lol

mark but-you-go-right-on-ahead Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:29 pm

If we really want this to get into a heated discussion, I could quote a friend who claims that Christianity is Judaism-lite. Oops I just did. Ah well, that we would wish to eschew is out of the can. His point is the concept of giving up the Old Law for the New Law, which to a great extent was really done to gather to the flock the, up to then, gentiles.

And a note to Gzer. The laws of Kashrut and of sacrifice are not limited to the Pascal season, but are part and parcel of everyday life and of all the holidays. The act that I see as emphasizing the break, as it were, is the continued observance of the Sabbath, but moving it from sundown Friday through sundown Saturday to Sunday.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:44 pm

A resident of Jerusalem is driving about, desperately seeking a parking place. He raises his eyes heavenward and supplicates, "Almighty G-d. If you will just help me find a parking place, I will keep Kosher and the Sabbath, I will attend synagogue and be a better person."

A man is working on the steep roof of his barn, slips, and begins sliding rapidly down the steep high roof. "Dear G-d, save me!" Just then his belt snags on the head of nail sticking out, stopping him. "Never mind, I'm ok!" (A different version I've heard of the above.)

A woman and her young son were walking on the beach one day when suddenly a large wave rolled up picked the boy up and took him out to sea. The woman, terrified, screamed, "Dear G-d, save my son!" Just the boy was suddenly spit back onto the beach by another wave. The woman looks skyward and says, "He had a hat."

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:11 pm

Ok, here's one: Three Rabbi's were chatting, one said something about his neighbor's son going to Jerusalem and then became a Christian, the other said: "Funny you should memtion, I sent my son to Jersalem, and he became a Christian." The third one said, "Funny you should mention, the same happened with my son". and sighed.

Out of the clouds a booming voice was heard, "Funny you should mention..."

mark what?-believing-in-God-is-different-from-being-'religious' Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Good jokes, all. Here's one I learned from a priest:

The Pope's heart is failing and he needs a transplant to live. The faithful gathered in St. Peter's square are praying for him and offering him their hearts. The Pope is deeply moved, but insists he cannot accept anyone's heart, but the people continue. So he retires to pray and reappears on the balcony with a solution.

"My children: I am moved by your selfless devotion. I will drop this white feather, and, whomsoever it lands upon, his heart I will accept."

At this the faithful lift up their faces and cry out, "Take my heart! [pwhffff*] Take my heart! [pwhffff*]"

gailr
keeping her heart, thank you.

* [pwhff] is sound of blowing breath up... :lol:

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:32 am

...And a note to Gzer. The laws of Kashrut and of sacrifice are not limited to the Pascal season, but are part and parcel of everyday life and of all the holidays. The act that I see as emphasizing the break, as it were, is the continued observance of the Sabbath, but moving it from sundown Friday through sundown Saturday to Sunday.
Oh, I know about that. A friend I used to moonlight for had two microwaves at his office. I don't think it was to cut down on the time it takes to make lunch. And there was always the sign on the wall: "Shabaz is coming!" :)

There is a reindeer Christmas decoration you can make from a candy cane, a pair of wiggle eyes, a small puff for a nose (preferably red), and some phone wire for the antlers. For my Jewish friends I've made them with a Star of David below the antlers or made the antlers as a menorah. A lot of the Christians won't recognize the menorah, but the Jews usually do right off.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:25 am

Perry responded to the hare : rabbit distinction with this, and I
I didn't used to differentiate, until confronted with the two different terms in Hebrew. ארנבת (arnevet) or ארנבון (arnevon) is rabbit, and שפן (shafan) is hare. The rabbit is the traditional bunny, i.e. long rabbit ears, etc. The hare has much shorter ears.
He seems to have the Hebrew-English match backwards: it is the hare with the longer ears and hind legs in English. It also runs faster. I think it may be the same as what Texans call a jack rabbit as distinguished from a regular rabbit AKA bunny. Any way, I know of no US dialect where the distinction is made between hare and rabbit.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:16 am

I may have the matching mixed up (Hebrew does goe from right to left, remember? :lol: ), but the "shafan" is the one with the shorter ears.

Perry I-hope-that-no-Hebrew-speaking-zoologist-tells-me-that-I-got-this-wrong-also Dror
Anonymous

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:36 pm

Möbiushares...

-gailr
Versions of the three hares triskele are found all over the world. I liked the Escher-esque ears on this one.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:23 pm

... He seems to have the Hebrew-English match backwards: it is the hare with the longer ears and hind legs in English. It also runs faster. I think it may be the same as what Texans call a jack rabbit as distinguished from a regular rabbit AKA bunny. Any way, I know of no US dialect where the distinction is made between hare and rabbit.
Mark Twain was from Missouri, not Texas, but he had this to say in his book, Roughing It:
As the sun was going down, we saw the first specimen of an animal known familiarly over two thousand miles of mountain and desert--from Kansas clear to the Pacific Ocean--as the "jackass rabbit." He is well named. He is just like any other rabbit, except that he is from one third to twice as large, has longer legs in proportion to his size, and has the most preposterous ears that ever were mounted on any creature but a jackass.

When he is sitting quiet, thinking about his sins, or is absent-minded or unapprehensive of danger, his majestic ears project above him conspicuously; but the breaking of a twig will scare him nearly to death, and then he tilts his ears back gently and starts for home. All you can see, then, for the next minute, is his long gray form stretched out straight and "streaking it" through the low sage-brush, head erect, eyes right, and ears just canted a little to the rear, but showing you where the animal is, all the time, the same as if he carried a jib. Now and then he makes a marvelous spring with his long legs, high over the stunted sage-brush, and scores a leap that would make a horse envious. Presently he comes down to a long, graceful "lope," and shortly he mysteriously disappears. He has crouched behind a sage-bush, and will sit there and listen and tremble until you get within six feet of him, when he will get under way again. But one must shoot at this creature once, if he wishes to see him throw his heart into his heels, and do the best he knows how. He is frightened clear through, now, and he lays his long ears down on his back, straightens himself out like a yard-stick every spring he makes, and scatters miles behind him with an easy indifference that is enchanting.

Our party made this specimen "hump himself," as the conductor said. The secretary started him with a shot from the Colt; I commenced spitting at him with my weapon; and all in the same instant the old "Allen's" whole broadside let go with a rattling crash, and it is not putting it too strong to say that the rabbit was frantic! He dropped his ears, set up his tail, and left for San Francisco at a speed which can only be described as a flash and a vanish! Long after he was out of sight we could hear him whiz.
Regards//Larry

Return to “Good Word Discussion”