CUPID

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

CUPID

Postby Dr. Goodword » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:36 am

• Cupid •

Pronunciation: kyu-pid • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. (Cupid) The Roman god of love. 2. (cupid) A representation of Cupid as a naked cherubic boy usually having wings and holding a bow and arrow, used as a symbol of romantic love.

Notes: Cupid's bow is a bow for shooting arrows that curves inward in the middle and usually outward at the ends. Cupid's arrows, however, are the delicious pangs of love and St. Valentine's Day is the day to look out for the little cherub. To learn more about St. Valentine, click here.

In Play: Cupid is first and foremost an abstraction symbolizing romantic, not platonic, love: "Marjorie has been playing Cupid again, trying to fix Ben Gay up with a girlfriend." We do occasionally use this word to refer to the Roman child-god: "In love! You say you are in love! Cupid has been playing around with your psyche just as he played around with the real one in Roman mythology!" (For clarification, read on.)

Word History: Today's Good Word, like so many others, comes to us from Latin: Cupid was the Roman god of love (Eros in Greek mythology). The name is based on cupido "desire" from the verb cupere "to desire". The noun cupidity "greed, avarice" comes from the same source. Romance, of course, is a special case of strong desire. According to Roman mythology, Cupid was the son of Mercury, the messenger god with the wings on his ankles, and Venus, the goddess of love. Psyche had such a radiant beauty that it rivaled that of Venus, so Romans were deserting Venus to worship her. This angered Venus so she asked Cupid to cast a spell on Psyche that would make her fall in love with the most loathsome creature on Earth. Cupid, however, filled with desire for Psyche himself, had her spirited away to a magnificent palace where he visited her every night.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:26 am

And what would this day be without quoting:
Stupid Cupid, you're a real mean guy,
I'd like to clip your wings so you can't fly,
I'm in love and it's a crying shame,
And I know that you're the one to blame.
Hey, hey, set me free.
Stupid Cupid, stop picking on me.

I can't do my homework and I can't think straight,
I meet him every morning 'bout half past eight,
I'm acting like a lovesick fool,
He's even got me carrying his books to school.
Hey, hey, set me free.

You mixed me up for good
Right from the very start,
So go play Robin Hood
With somebody else's heart.

You got me jumping like a crazy clown,
And I don't feature what you're putting down,
Well since I kissed the loving lips of wine,
The thing that bothers me is that I like it fine.
Hey, hey, set me free.

You messed me up for good
Right from the very start,
So go play Robin Hood
With somebody else's heart.

You got me jumping like a crazy clown,
And I don't feature what you're putting down,
Well since I kissed those loving lips of wine,
The thing that bothers me is that I like it fine.
Hey, hey, set me free.
Stupid Cupid, stop picking on me...
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Return to “Good Word Discussion”