IMPECUNIOUS

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

IMPECUNIOUS

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:15 am

• impecunious •

Pronunciation: im-pê-kyu-ni-ês • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: Extremely poor, penniless.

Notes: Impecunious has not been used as the negative of pecunious "extremely wealthy" for such a long time that the latter word has become something of a joke, now meaning "money-grubbing, miserly" outside the US. More remarkable, however, is that in the US the meaning of pecunious has taken an entirely different turn; it now means "thrifty, frugal". Even the New York Times referred to the state of New York's "pecunious attitude toward the homeless" in a 1991 article. The adverb is formed by adding the usual -ly and the noun, by the usual -ness on the end. Impecuniosity is also acceptable though it sounds a bit peculiar to us.

In Play: Since we have plenty of words meaning "poor" (indigent, needy, penniless, impoverished, poverty-stricken, destitute), we should save this one for reference to extreme poverty: "Morris Bedda remembers with little fondness his impecunious days in college, when he spent more time working than studying." Many of us suffer from impecuniousness in and around our college years: "Lance Boyles was too impecunious to continue on to medical school after working his way through college."

Word History: Today's word is made up of the Latin negative prefix in "not" + pecunious "rich", the adjective for pecunia "money, wealth". This word is an extension of pecus "cattle, farm animals", which explains why Italian pecorino sheep cheese goes back to the same root. English peculiar comes from Latin peculium "riches in cattle, property", the same root, pec-, with an different suffix. We would expect the [p] to become [f] and the [k] to become [h] in Germanic languages, so the Old English word for "cattle" was feoh. In Old Norse, this word became simply fe which, combined with lag "to lay, place in order" became felag "partnership, fellowship". A member of a partnership was a felagi, borrowed by Old English and polished over time into fellow. (Today we are grateful for the richness of Susan Lister's vocabulary and our long-time e-mail fellowship which brought us today's suggestioin.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:34 pm

Oh to be impeccably pecunious.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

scw1217
Lexiterian

Postby scw1217 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:19 pm

"suggestioin"? :D
Suzanne D. Williams, Author
http://www.feelgoodromance.com

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:54 pm

it looks like one of my typos, my dyslexic fingers just don't type so good, I'm sure dr. Goodword has just as good excuse.
mark elso-cin't-speel Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

scw1217
Lexiterian

Postby scw1217 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:38 am

it looks like one of my typos, my dyslexic fingers just don't type so good, I'm sure dr. Goodword has just as good excuse.
mark elso-cin't-speel Bailey
I thought maybe it was French. J/K After working for almost 10 years as a proofreader, I spot spelling errors everywhere I go. However, this does not keep me from leaving my own typos behind! Nor can I always spell everything, just tell you it's wrong. :lol:
Suzanne D. Williams, Author
http://www.feelgoodromance.com

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:19 am

Time for the Good Doctor to lambaste his volunteer editors again ...
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Return to “Good Word Discussion”