OXYMORON

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

OXYMORON

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:33 pm

• oxymoron •

Pronunciation: ahk-si-mo-ron • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. A moron as dumb as an ox. 2. A moron too dumb to breathe, requiring oxygen.

Notes: Today's Good Word was selected and defined especially for the first day of April in the US. The adjective is oxymorose and the seldom used if repulsive verb is oxymortototaldedummify, found only in the writings and speechifying of oxymorons themselves. (Whoever created my spelling checker is apparently an oxymoron since the checker does not mark speechifying as a nonword but does mark nonword, a perfectly good word in English.)

In Play: The easiest way to be oxymoronic is to be an ox: "My grandfather gave up farming when his two oxymoronic oxen refused work together, simply because they had stalls on different sides of the aisle in his barn on the hill by the house." However, we needn't be: "The only product I know of named for oxymorons was Oxydol, popular in the 30s and 40s, a detergent originally designed for doll clothes."

Word History: Today's Good Word comes from Greek oxos "bull, air" and moronos "dull, stupid." Greek oxos is also found in oxygen, which ancient Greeks thought was exhaled by oxen. (That is why they worked them so hard.) This root is also in Oxford, the town in England that stands where Ray D. Ayder became the first Englishman to trade his oxcart in for a Ford automobile in 1922. This event is now celebrated in the name of the town itself, shortened from Ox-for-a-Ford in 1923. (Today we thank Dr. April Phule, no oxymoron herself but Professor of Foolishness at Didweefuhl U., for submitting this very Good Word for April Fool's Day, the day of practical jokes—like this one—in the US. If you didn't read this far down before sending us a rude e-mail: Gotcha!)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:32 am

Good one Dr. GW.

mark April-Fool Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:25 pm

Very astute and academically accurate word history.

Also, very funny!

scw1217
Lexiterian

Postby scw1217 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:25 pm

Ha ha! Funny stuff.
Suzanne D. Williams, Author
http://www.feelgoodromance.com

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue May 22, 2007 5:25 pm

OK, so the mind either works a little slow at times or just doesn't make a connection until much later.

Whilst perusing the list of words in the Good Word Discussion Forum, the OXYMORON 2 link caught my eye, and my first thought leapt to Billy Mays, the guy who hawks Oxy-Clean on TV.

If you've never seen one of his commercials, consider yourself lucky. Very lucky.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

scw1217
Lexiterian

Postby scw1217 » Tue May 22, 2007 7:08 pm

OK, so the mind either works a little slow at times or just doesn't make a connection until much later.

Whilst perusing the list of words in the Good Word Discussion Forum, the OXYMORON 2 link caught my eye, and my first thought leapt to Billy Mays, the guy who hawks Oxy-Clean on TV.

If you've never seen one of his commercials, consider yourself lucky. Very lucky.
The oxymoron there is the amount of hair dye he uses!

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Tue May 22, 2007 8:45 pm

The oxymoron there is the amount of hair dye he uses!
I thought it was the decibel count, ooooh my poor ears, I try to hit mute when he's on.

mark hears-good Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Tue May 22, 2007 10:40 pm

I thought it was the decibel count, ooooh my poor ears, I try to hit mute when he's on.
My niece does a killer impression of his conversations with his kids.
The family that...yells...together, um...sells...together?
-gailr

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Thu May 24, 2007 10:33 am

My niece does a killer impression of his conversations with his kids.
The family that...yells...together, um...sells...together?
-gailr
He does get unnaturally excited about cleaning products. I just hate I know who you're talking about.

(We yell together and can't sell water to a man in the desert!)

scw1217
Lexiterian

Postby scw1217 » Thu May 24, 2007 12:59 pm

He does get unnaturally excited about cleaning products.
:lol:

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Thu May 24, 2007 3:30 pm

He does get unnaturally excited about cleaning products.
:lol:
My inner cynic notes that mrs. billy mays is not the one 'waxing poetic' about housecleaning rampages...

-gailr

scw1217
Lexiterian

Postby scw1217 » Thu May 24, 2007 7:40 pm

My inner cynic notes that mrs. billy mays is not the one 'waxing poetic' about housecleaning rampages...

-gailr
There's a women with a story to tell...

Return to “Good Word Discussion”