METATHESIS

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

METATHESIS

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:19 pm

• metathesis •

Pronunciation: mê--thê-sis • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun, mass

Meaning: 1. (Linguistics) The switching of one sound or letter in a word with another. 2. (Chemistry) A chemical reaction between two compounds in which parts of each are interchanged to form two new compounds.

Notes: Today's rather technical linguistic word comes replete with all the derivational forms we need. We have our choice of metathetic or metathetical for the adjective and -ly may be added to the latter for the adverb: metathetically. The verb is a predictable metathesize, as two sounds might metathesize in a word. The biggest pitfall to avoid is the confusion of this word with the medical term, metastasis "movement or spread (of a disease or pain)".

In Play: Linguistic metathesis most often involves R and L, the "liquid" consonants: flimsy was created from filmsy by metathesis. When we say perogative for prerogative or perscription for prescription, we commit metathesis, switching the positions of the R and E. In some dialects of English ask is metathesized to aks and another common speech error is the pronunciation of foliage as foilage, switching the L and the I. Keep your ears pealed! Southerners love metathesis: their pronunciations of pretty as perty, and difference [di-frêns] as differnce all reflect this proclivity.

Word History: Today's Good Word is a Late Latin noun based on the Greek verb metatithenai "to transpose". This verb consists of meta "beyond, over" + tithenai "to place". Meta comes from the same source as English mid and middle. Apparently, it originally meant "between", for that is the meaning of Russian mezhdu, which comes from the same word. Tithenai comes from an earlier form dhe-ti-, the source of English deed and do plus the suffix ti-. (For more about metathesis, see the Ohio State Metathesis Page).
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:13 pm

The definitions above lack one; the academic version.

The Meta Thesis is formed by taking the theses of people smarter than you, combining them, and passing them off as your own original work.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:04 pm

I am reminded of Bush II and Nuke.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:20 pm

Don't get me started.

Also, "aks" instead of "ask". (Lots of folks. Not Dubbyah as far as I know.)
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:46 pm

....and "tuh" or "ta" for 'to'.
Listen to BHO.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Return to “Good Word Discussion”