HAMBURGER

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

HAMBURGER

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:55 pm

hamburger

Pronunciation: hæm-bê(r)-gê(r) • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. Ground beef. 2. A round patty of ground beef, usually though not necessarily served between two slices of bread or in a bun with condiments (mustard, ketchup, pickles or relish, tomatoes and lettuce among other favorites).

Notes: Today's Good Word long ago fell victim to 'folk etymology', a misanalysis of a borrowed word that makes it more recognizable. Even though it originates as the German derivation meaning something from the city of Hamburg (Hamburg-er), English speakers immediately perceived the word ham in it and, despite the absence of any ham in hamburgers, began replacing that word with so many others that burger finally became a word on its own.

In Play: I only wish I had a nickel for every hamburger that will be cooked and consumed in the US today. By far the favorite food for celebrating US Independence Day is the all-American hamburger (despite its origin). Everyone here at alphaDictionary wishes all our subscribers the happiest of Fourths and the best of all hamburgers grilled in the US today.

Word History: In the 13th and 14th centuries Turkic tribes known as Tatars roamed across the plains of what today is Russia. They were known for chopping meat (probably because it was tough), mixing it with spices, and eating it raw. This idea gravitated to the German town of Hamburg, which became famous for its beefsteak Tatar, ground beef served with onions and spices without benefit of the flame. When this 'Hamburg steak' reached the US, it was generally served cooked. The term Hamburger steak first appeared in the January 5, 1889 edition of the Walla Walla (Washington) Union. The steak was soon dropped but it wasn't until the 1930s that the word cheeseburger appeared and by 1939 hamburger had been shortened to burger. At that point, a flood of compounds with this new word began to appear: fishburger, turkeyburger, baconburger, and so on and on and on. (Today's word is courtesy of Dr. Goodword, himself Lewisburger celebrating our nation's birth today in his hometown, Lewisburg, PA, USA.)
Last edited by Dr. Goodword on Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Re: HAMBURGER

Postby gailr » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:37 pm

Today's Good Word long ago fell victim to 'folk etymology', a misanalysis of a borrowed word that makes it more recognizable. Even though it originates as the German derivation meaning something from the city of Hamburg (Hamburg-er), English speakers immediately perceived the word ham in it and, despite the absence of any ham in hamburgers, began replacing that word with so many others that burger finally became a word on its own.
I only wish I had a nickel for every hamburger that will be cooked and consumed in the US today.
Nice word, Dr. G.; perhaps you can add a linguistic tax of 5¢ to every burger grilled at your family gathering?

This also reminds me of Eddie's bit on JFK's visit to Berlin:
He said, "I am a doughnut," they went wild! Lucky he didn't do a tour of Germany. "I am a hamburger, a frankfurter and a doughnut."
gailr
who may be celebrating with vegans and some sort of faux, tofu "burgers"...gak...

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: HAMBURGER

Postby Stargzer » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:25 am

... This also reminds me of Eddie's bit on JFK's visit to Berlin:
He said, "I am a doughnut," they went wild! Lucky he didn't do a tour of Germany. "I am a hamburger, a frankfurter and a doughnut."
gailr
who may be celebrating with vegans and some sort of faux, tofu "burgers"...gak...
That would be jelly doughnut in the in the Urban Legend ...

... and the original Boca Burgers actually look, smell, and taste a lot like a real burger. The other types won't replace a real burger, but some can stand on their own as eminently edible chow, even if not from a cow.

Stargzer is a confirmed carnivore who occasionally commits vegecide ...
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Return to “Good Word Discussion”