INOSCULATE

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

INOSCULATE

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:45 pm

• inosculate •

Pronunciation: in-ahs-kyê-layt • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Verb

Meaning: 1. To connect to, to connect with, to open into, as a blood vessel might inosculate with another. 2. To interpenetrate, to join so as to be a part of, to grow or be tightly intertwined, as some areas of philosophy inosculate with mathematics.

Notes: Today's Good Word has been around since the 17th century and has produced a few offspring. The noun is inosculation and the past participle inosculated behaves more like an adjective than a participle. Given the fact that osculate is the medical term for "to kiss", you might imagine this word having something to do with French kissing but it doesn't. It is also unrelated to injections; that would be inoculate.

In Play: If plumbers had a vocabulary like this, paying their bills would be less a pain: "Ma'am, I'm afraid the water standing in your yard comes from a break at the joint where your water line inosculates with the water main running under the street." Figuratively, this word's meaning comes very close to that of integrate: "Melanie discovered that her hippie dress style made it difficult for her to inosculate with the conservative community of New Monia."

Word History: Today's word is made up of Latin in "in" + osculat-us, the past participle of osculare "to make an opening; to kiss". This verb was created from osculum "little mouth", the diminutive of os, oris "mouth". The root for "mouth" in Latin is or-, but when the nominative singular suffix, -s is added, the R drops out. This produces two roots for the sense of "mouth", or-, which we find in the English borrowings oral and orifice, and os-, which we find in today's word and Latin ostium "door". (Today's Good Word comes to us courtesy of the mysterious Grogie, who easily inosculated with the community of the Alpha Agora.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:10 pm

What a great word! I can't believe I missed it when it came out. Now I need to find a way to use it in my life, and remember to use it.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:24 pm

What a great word! I can't believe I missed it when it came out. Now I need to find a way to use it in my life, and remember to use it.
Don't you mean "find a way to inosculate it into my converstations"?
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:13 pm

Don't you mean "find a way to inosculate it into my converstations"?
Aye, and therein lies the rub. I seldom catch these opportunities until they have passed.

Now, here's a proposal from my spell-check: in-osculate. Would this mean un-kissed?

misterdoe
Senior Lexiterian

Postby misterdoe » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:34 pm

When I saw "inosculate," the first thought that came to mind was "...unkiss?!" :? Something we probably all wish we could do, alas...

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:59 pm

When I saw "inosculate," the first thought that came to mind was "...unkiss?!" :? Something we probably all wish we could do, alas...
Perhaps we could go with de-osculate?

Return to “Good Word Discussion”