BEREFT

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

BEREFT

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:33 pm

• bereft •

Pronunciation: bê-reftHear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: Deprived of, missing.

Notes: Today's Good Word is a good example of a word in transition. The verb bereave "deprive of" is traditionally conjugated bereave, bereft (past tense), bereft (past participle). Today, however, most speakers and writers 'regularize' it: bereave, bereaved, bereaved. That gives us two past participles to use in reference to deprivation. Bereaved is generally used in reference to humans, as in the bereaved widow. Today's Good Word is associated with nonhuman nouns, as in bereft of all hope.

In Play: Here is a sentence that shows the difference between bereaved and bereft: "Her stockbroker died, leaving the bereaved woman bereft of any hope of recovering the money he had embezzled from her account." Notice that we may be bereaved by people other than our immediate family. Bereft is generally used with abstract nouns, like hope, power, and ideas but it may be used with concrete nouns, too: "Mike Hassel's new house was bereft of any personal artifacts that would have given the visitor some hint of his personality."

Word History: Today's Good Word is the descendant of Old English bereafian. It is composed of the archaic prefix be-, which we also see in because, believe, and bemuse. The prefix is clipped onto the root reaf, which goes back to Proto-Indo-European reup- "snatch". The suffix -ian is the the infinitive ending, long since lost. Reup- became raubon "rob" in Old Germanic, whence French borrowed it as rober "rob", adding its infinitive suffix, -er. English then borrowed it back from French as rob, giving us two words (rob and bereave) for the price of one.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:02 am

http://www.alphadictionary.com/bb/viewt ... ght=bereft

What it didn't count cuz I didn't capitalize it?

mb

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Cacasenno
Lexiterian

Re: BEREFT

Postby Cacasenno » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:40 pm

• bereft •

Word History: Today's Good Word is the descendant of Old English bereafian. It is composed of the archaic prefix be-, which we also see in because, believe, and bemuse. The prefix is clipped onto the root reaf, which goes back to Proto-Indo-European reup- "snatch". The suffix -ian is the the infinitive ending, long since lost. Reup- became raubon "rob" in Old Germanic, whence French borrowed it as rober "rob", adding its infinitive suffix, -er. English then borrowed it back from French as rob, giving us two words (rob and bereave) for the price of one.

Interesting.
In Italian we have the word arraffare for snarch, seize, hog. The origin is traced to the Longobard haraffon, same as the French rafée and sgraffignée

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Re: BEREFT

Postby gailr » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:36 pm

Interesting.
In Italian we have the word arraffare for snarch, seize, hog. The origin is traced to the Longobard haraffon, same as the French rafée and sgraffignée
I wonder...why, yes, it looks like this also gave us raffle.
ETYMOLOGY: Middle English rafle, a game using dice, from Old French, act of seizing, dice game, perhaps of Germanic origin.
-gailr
who does not buy lottery or raffle tickets and is therefore bereft of megazillions...

Cacasenno
Lexiterian

Postby Cacasenno » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:35 pm

We have an illegal street riffa. No dice but number picking.
Odd odds for the players. With such etymology, hardly a surprise !

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:29 pm

We have an illegal street riffa. No dice but number picking.
Odd odds for the players. With such etymology, hardly a surprise !
That sounds like what we call the numbers game, or just the numbers, also illegal (except when run by one of the States!). Maryland has Pick-3 and Pick-4 (digits).

When I was very young I remember my father going to the shoemaker next door to his jewelry store, holding some dollar bills in his hand, talking to the man, and handing him the money. He didn't have any shoes repaired. The shoemaker may have been Italian, but that memory may be contaminated by too many Italian stereotypes and too many Godfather movies. In later years it finally hit me that he must have been playing the numbers.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:59 pm

That's funny, gzer. It prompted memories of discussions past, and what great satisfaction my friends have taken in springing from criminal roots somewhere in their respective family trees. Now I'm wondering if this is a USian trait or if the posters in other lands also relish legendery [ancestral] rogues and scofflaws?

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:12 am

I've always said I haven't traced my Irish ancestors because with my luck they either be Orange or horsetheives, and I think I'd prefer the latter.

:wink:
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Return to “Good Word Discussion”