LOVE

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

LOVE

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:23 am

• love •

Pronunciation: lêv

Part of Speech: Noun & Transitive verb

Meaning: 1. A deep affection and respect for. 2. A sexual passion for someone or something. 3. Zero points in tennis scoring.

Notes: We picked this Good Word for today to make sure you are ready for tomorrow, St. Valentine's Day. Today you might want to play tennis, where you will have the occasion to use it frequently. This lovely word is used in scoring of tennis matches, where it has the unfortunate meaning of "nothing, zip, zilch, nada" (tennis scores are love, 15, 30, 40, game, rather than 0-1-2-3-4, win, and a tie is a deuce, probably because players often say that when they tie.

In Play: The first two meanings of today's Good Word reminds us that there is an easy 'love' and one that requires concentration: "The harder my wife and I work as loving each other, the deeper and more essential the relationship becomes." However, the second kind often ends up worth no more than the third: "He is a man who loves to love; he just doesn't know how."

Word History: Today's lovely word started out in Old English as lufu but, as many folks do, it improved with age. It is based on a root with sticking power: we see its original [l] and in German Liebe, Russian ljubov, and Latin libido "pleasure". There once was a time when "love it or leave it" would have been redundant, since "leave" comes from the same parent word. "By your leave" once meant "by your pleasure", when love was associated with pleasure. The story of the tennis term is even more interesting. It is an English rendition of French l'œuf 'the egg', in a sense akin to English goose egg. The shift to love is the result of a process known as folk etymology, the conversion of
[/url]
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Apoclima » Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:28 pm

How funny! "Love" and "leave" come from the same roots.

That may give a new justification for the phrase, "Love 'em and leave 'em."

Never my style!

Apo
'Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination.' -Max Planck

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:47 am

Whenever I hear - or see - this word, the line's from Edna St. Vincent Millay's great sonnet «Pity me not» come to mind :
Pity me not because the light of day
At close of day no longer walks the sky;
Pity me not for beauties passed away
From field and thicket as the year goes by
Pity me not the waning of the moon,
Nor that the ebbing tide goes out to sea,
Nor that a man's desire is hushed so soon,
And you no longer look with love on me.

This have I known always: love is no more
Than the wide blossom which the wind assails;
Than the great tide that treads the shifting shore,
Strewing fresh wreckage gathered in the gales.
Pity me that the heart is slow to learn
What the swift mind beholds at every turn.
Henri

Return to “Good Word Discussion”