MISOGYNY

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

MISOGYNY

Postby Dr. Goodword » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:06 am

• misogyny •

Pronunciation: mis-ah-jê-niHear it!

Part of Speech: Noun, mass

Meaning: Hatred of women.

Notes: Today's word (I hesitate to call it a Good one) is a pair with misandry "hatred of men". For those of us who hate both sexes, English allows us misanthropy to refer to a hatred of all mankind. Be careful not to confuse misanthropy with misandry. A misogynous person infected with misogyny is a misogynist.

In Play: Today's word is very topical given the Democratic candidates in the current US presidential race: "Hillary Clinton's candidacy in the 2008 presidential elections may test the misogyny in US society." Senator Clinton's popularity suggests that it has abated in the new millennium but it still rears its ugsome head now and again: "I think it is less Seymour's shyness than it is his misogyny that keeps him a prisoner of bachelorhood."

Word History: Today's word was borrowed from Greek misogynia based on misos "hatred" + gyne "woman". Gyne also appears in gynecology and is related to Old English cwene which, at various points in its career meant "woman", "wife", and "prostitute"—today's quean. It also shares a source with Old English cween "woman, wife, queen", today's queen. The Greek root is also related to the root gen- "give birth", which we find in generate, gene and oxygen. In Gaelic, for some reason, this root became bean [bayn] in the phrase bean sídhe "woman of the fairies", a phrase that English converted into a single word, banshee. (We love Jackie Strauss and Bob Scala and feel nary a drop of misogyny or misandry toward them for suggesting today's Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:46 am

When I am lonely I often miss gyne!
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:27 pm

I'm not sure if this fits here or not but ok I'll just do it
And did you hear about the three English professors who left a conference together? On their way to dinner they passed some ladies of the night and began wondering what the collective term for such a group would be.

The first proposed "a flourish of strumpets."

Another suggested "an essay of Trollopes."

But the third topped them all with "an anthology of prose."
men just seem to hate women, I wonder why this is, they accuse women of envying, but maybe men are the envyers even tho' they envy for the wrong reasons. For instance men seem to think that women automatically want to be seen as sexual objects, as men are accused of desiring of themselves, that women love to run around naked [ah dreamers that we are], and prostitutes are in a job for the love of the sport. I'm assured that these cherished tenets are untrue.

mark accused-of-being-dumber-than-dirt Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:01 pm

men just seem to hate women, I wonder why this is, they accuse women of envying, but maybe men are the envyers...
I believe you have hit the male on the head here, mb.
It all goes back to ability to procreate vs ability not to.
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:10 pm

ya think?

mb

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Return to “Good Word Discussion”