SURLY

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

SURLY

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri May 09, 2008 11:02 pm

• surly •

Pronunciation: sêr-li • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: 1. Churlish, gruff, very grumpy. 2. Crass if not even a bit thuggish, threatening.

Notes: Today's Good Word comes with a noun, surliness and an adverb surlily. The latter is rarely used since it sounds a bit silly and childish, just the opposite of the word's meaning. The comparative of this word is surlier and the superlative, surliest.

In Play: Most of us find events in our lives that make us a little bit surly from time to time: "I'm not surprised that Federico has been a bit surly after Maria slipped the chili pepper into his soup at lunch." However, surliness can become a real threat: "Gunnar told me that if I didn't stay away from his girl, he would send a couple of surly thugs over to rearrange my facial features. Do you think he would?"

Word History: Today's Good Word has fallen far from grace since it first appeared in the middle of the 16th century. It began its life two centuries earlier as sirly "lordly, haughty", based on the word sir. As the meaning of "haughty" developed into "arrogant, overbearing", the spelling changed as well. A churl in old England was an uncultured, illiterate peasant, so the fact that surly today means "churlish" shows just how far this word has sunk over the course of its life. Sir itself, of course, is a reduction of sire, a respectful form of address to a man. Sire came to us from Old French sieur. This French word is a reduction of Latin senior "older", which also appears today in Romance languages as Italian signor, Portuguese senhor, and Spanish señor. (We will not be so surly as to forget to thank Señor Stan Davis for suggesting today's Good if fallen Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Sun May 18, 2008 4:03 pm

"Surly to bed and surly to rise!"

- Stan Freburg (as Ben Franklin), Stan Freberg Presents The United States of America, 1961
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Wed May 21, 2008 6:45 pm

"Surly to bed and surly to rise!"

- Stan Freburg (as Ben Franklin), Stan Freberg Presents The United States of America, 1961
"You can't claim this country. We already own it."
"OK, I'll buy it from you then. Where is there a bank?"
"Bank over there on hill. But bank closed"
"Why closed?"
"It Columbus Day!" :P :P :P

Ask Sluggo, if you are confused.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Return to “Good Word Discussion”