LAMBENT

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

LAMBENT

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sat May 24, 2008 10:58 pm

• lambent •

Pronunciation: læm-bênt • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: 1. Playing slowly and softly over a surface, breaking up or flickering, as lambent moonlight on the rippling lake. 2. Glowing faintly, as a lambent light in the fog. 3. Gracefully sportive and flashing occasionally, as a lambent wit.

Notes: Despite the fact that the word lamb lurks inside today's Good Word, the two words are not related except by the softness implied by both. The noun accompanying today's Good Word is lambency and the adverb is the predictable lambently.

In Play: Today we are enjoying one of the loveliest words in English, both in sound and meaning: "The lambent light of the moon filtering through the trees made her hair dance slowly and alluringly." This word can also simply refer to a faint light, such as one glimmering through fog: "The lambent green light at the end of the dock held an inexplicable fascination for Gatsby."

Word History: This Good Word was once lambens, lambent- "licking", the present participle of lambere "to lick", preserved figuratively in today's word in the sense of licking flames. The root of the Latin verb suggests that the original word was lab- "lick, slurp" with that 'Fickle N', that comes and goes mysteriously in Indo-European languages. Before P or B, that N usually became M, as it does here in Latin. It does not appear in Germanic words of the same origin, such as English lip and lap, not to mention German Löffel "spoon", a useful slurping tool. In fact, the Fickle M doesn't appear in Latin labium "lip", either. (Today we owe our gratitude to James Stemwedel for suggesting that we explore the beauty of this very Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:53 pm

I always thought of this word as relating exclusively to fire and flames. I see now I was wrong, as usual.

If anyone out there remembers Dave Barry, the humor columnist, you may recall how he often came up with a phrase and then said it sounded like a good name for a rock band. Lambent made me think of "lamb bent," which led to "Twisted Sheep." Good name for a rock band?

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:49 am

I like lambs so I am not inclined to agree.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Return to “Good Word Discussion”