ROISTER

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

ROISTER

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:35 pm

• roister •

Pronunciation: roy-stêr • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Verb, intransitive

Meaning: 1. To revel boisterously, to party noisily and obnoxiously, usually as a result of overdrinking. 2. To speak loudly, boastfully, like a swaggering bully.

Notes: People who roister are roisterers and their behavior is roisterous. However, if you think the doubling of the suffix -er a bit too much, simply omit one: a roister is also a roisterer.

In Play: When the fun at a party begins to offend some people, it has become roistering: "Noah Sarque finally had to give up roistering with his buddies when resting up from a roister took him longer than getting tired." Roistering is closely associated with alcohol intake: "Harley and his mates roistered from bar to bar until they were all picked up and tucked safely into a paddy wagon in the wee hours of the morning."

Word History: Today's Good Word came from French rustre "peasant, lout", a variation of Old French ruste "farmer" from Latin rusticus "rustic, related to the country". The Latin word is the adjective of rus "country(side)", ruris "of the country(side)", with the shift of S to R (rhotacism) that was common in Latin. The R-form went into the making of the adjective ruralis "related to the country", which English also borrowed as rural. It may seem odd that roister is unrelated to boisterous, given its adjective roisterous with its similarity in spelling and meaning. That similarity, however, is purely coincidental. (Let's all thank Alan Janesch not too roisterously for finding today's Good Word and bringing it to our attention.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Re: ROISTER

Postby sluggo » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:12 am

People who roister are roisterers and their behavior is roisterous.
But apparently not to be confused with boisterous [Middle English boistres, variant of boistous, rude, rough, perhaps from Old French boisteus, lame, limping, from boiste, knee joint.]

More cute roots :P
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:09 pm

I can just see it now: a Yuppie raw bar called The Roisterous Oyster.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:23 am

Yes. The thought of oysters in their cups is too frightening.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:35 pm

I thought ANY thought of oysters would be frightening to you! :)
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:17 pm

Just because I do not eat them, doesn't mean they frighten me. But drunken oysters might be a different kettle of [shell]fish.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:45 pm

Perry has a higher porpoise.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:00 am

Just because I do not eat them, doesn't mean they frighten me. But drunken oysters might be a different kettle of [shell]fish.
Yeah, I'm a shellfish person from way back, crabby at times, too, and sometimes I clam up when you least expect it. Oyster Vey! :lol:
Regards//Larry

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:02 am

Perry has a higher porpoise.
Better that than an immortal porpoise ...
Regards//Larry

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:39 pm

Oh my cod, this again?

Walleye'd never've expectorated this grouper to sink back to such depths. Ick! :roll:

We mussellette ourselves shark responsibilities and drift offstream for the sole porpoise of salmon connected tidbytes. Resist the temptation to endorsal puns, or at a minnowmum kipper at bay. Holy ma...cadamia.

Sluggo perches, add a manta bout not taking the bait...
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:01 pm

Whale, good reef! Yer skatin off topic, sluggo!

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:53 pm

As my brother would say, "Oyster? I hardly know 'er!"
Anonymous

Return to “Good Word Discussion”