TENEMENT

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

TENEMENT

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:38 pm

• tenement •

Pronunciation: te-nê-mênt • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. A multifamily housing unit with tenants, an apartment building. 2. A rundown apartment building run by a slum landlord. 3. (British) A room or apartment rented out.

Notes: Today's word comes from Late Latin and thus has had little chance to produce a family. If you look long and far enough, you will find a rarely used adjective, tenemental, which suggests an adverb, tenementally, and a noun, tenementality, but I know of no one brave enough to use either in mixed or unmixed company. (I guess that leaves it up to me; see the next section.)

In Play: In the US, today's Good Word is often used in the plural to refer to an impoverished but intricate style of life: "Amanda Lynn lifted herself out of the tenements playing a stringed instrument." (Guess which one.) Now let's see what we can do with the implied derivations mentioned in the Notes: "Living in the tenements, Amanda developed a tenementality about working together closely with other people." You might say that she stays in New York for tenemental reasons. Oh, stop groaning.

Word History: Tenement entered Middle English meaning simply "house", as did the original Medieval Latin tenementum. This word is based on tenere "to hold", whose root derives from a Proto-Indo-European (PIE) root ubiquitous throughout Indo-European languages: *ten- "to stretch". As we all know, of course, PIE [t] converted to [th] in Germanic languages like English, so it came to us as thin, the way things get when stretched. In Latin the [t] didn't change, so "thin" in Latin is tenuis, the source of our tenuous. (Our gratitude for sharing this word goes out today to Walter Hershman, who, we can say without stretching the truth thin, holds a healthy interest in the history of New York City.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:16 pm

I did guess which one, but I'm not telling! 8)
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Return to “Good Word Discussion”