SILLY

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

SILLY

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:45 pm

• silly •

Pronunciation: si-li • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: 1. Frivolously and naively funny; whimsically stupid, goofy. 2. Slap-happy, crazy, dazed, as in "slapped silly by an offended fan".

Notes: You may think us a bit silly for calling such an ordinary word a 'Good Word'. Well, so what? Maybe a little silliness wukk provide a welcomed bit of relief from such trying economic times. Let's take a peek inside the word itself; it is a favorite of all my grandchildren. If you think silly is a silly word, try the adverb: sillily. The noun is a bit more sedate: silliness.

In Play: Silliness is a mixture of humor and naivete: "That silly Mr. Magoo plugged his dog's leash into a wall socket and dragged his vacuum cleaner for a walk." Children do silly things a lot, such as calling wood-peckers tree-knockers or umbrellas underbrellas. Of course, the line between cuteness and silliness is very thin and depends a lot on the attitude of the observer.

Word History: In Old English today's word was gesælig "happy", derived from the noun sæl "happiness". By Middle English it had been reduced to seli and from there it came to be what it is today. You might wonder how the meaning of silly is so far removed from its cousin, German selig "blessed, blissful". As Etymonline points out, "The word's considerable sense development moved from 'blessed' to 'pious', to 'innocent' (1200), to 'harmless', to 'pitiable' (c.1280), to 'weak' (c.1300), to 'feeble in mind, …foolish' (1576)". The original root was Proto-Indo-European sel- "happy". It is also the base of Greek hilaros "gay, cheerful", which English copied for hilarious, and Latin solari "to comfort", which underlies the word English borrowed as solace. (We thank Jeremy Busch for the silly moment in which he thought of sending this Good Word to us for review.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

scw1217
Lexiterian

Postby scw1217 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:20 pm

It was silly of you Good Dr. to say "wukk" instead of "would". And I loved the reference to Mr. Magoo. I used to laugh myself silly watching him when I was a child. Good memories!
Suzanne D. Williams, Author
http://www.feelgoodromance.com

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:52 pm

Actually, I was going to drop The Good Doctor a private note to correct what appeared to me to be a simple finger fault in the spelling of "will," with his index finger on the letter "H" instead of "J," the normal Home Key. Notice that "U" is next to "I" (this is the only time one can say "you is next to I" instead of "you are next to me" and still be gramattically correct. :) ) and that "K" is next to "L." If the left hand had also been off we'd've had "eukk" or "qukk" instead, to which we could've been quick to respond "Yuck!" to this quirk. :roll:
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:21 pm

Giid catchm scw1216 abd stargzr!
(U jbiwm U jbiw, tgus us sukky,)

Return to “Good Word Discussion”