PROCRASTINATE

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

PROCRASTINATE

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:53 pm

• procrastinate •

Pronunciation: prê-kræs-tê-nayt • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Verb, intransitive

Meaning: To postpone, to defer action, to put off doing something, to delay.

Notes: Procrastination must be common among English-speakers, for this Good Word has a large and healthy family. The action noun, as you can see, is procrastination, while the personal (agent) noun is procrastinator—that's someone who procrastinates. Procrastinators tend to be procrastinative or, as others say, procrastinatory. Both are good adjectives, no matter what your spellchecker says.

In Play: The motto of all procrastinators is, "Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow." I assume that none of our readers are procrastinators who will put off reading today's Good Word until tomorrow. Now, lest you think I am procrastinating, let me reel off an example of this very Good Word now: "I always procrastinate buying Christmas presents until the last minute and seldom have a wide selection to choose from."

Word History: Today's Good Word is another of the long line of English words shamelessly lifted from the Latin lexicon. It comes to us from procrastinatus "delayed until tomorrow", the past participle of procrastinare "to delay until tomorrow". This verb comprises the prefix pro- "forward" + crastinus "tomorrow's" + the verbal suffix. Crastinus is the adjective for cras "tomorrow", a word without a past, so far as we know. We do know it is unrelated to crassus "thick", whence came the English word crass.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:28 am

I think I'll reply to this Goodword another time ...
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

from CHRIS STEWART (e-mail today)

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:29 am

I think you got it wrong - our motto is "never put off till tomorrow what you can put off to the next day". I would ask the gurus at the Procrastinator's Society for verification, but I have not yet got around to joining. I believe they are doing good work, having recently got around to predicting the outbreak of World War II (which I understand they managed with 100% accuracy). Now if we had been in power at the time, simply subscribing to our other watchword "better never than late" would have completely averted that tragedy.

A surprising number of "gots" in that paragraph. Can't say I like it. But much worse is that American favorite, "gotten" which - dountless due to television - is steadily gaining ground here in SA. Can't imagine how such a word could've come into being, let alone gotten so prevalent (oops).

By the way, there is much to be said for putting off buying Christmas presents, and in fact my own experience is totally at odds with the statement "seldom have a wide selection to choose from". The thing to do is the buy from the after Christmas sales and stash them away for the next season. My wife does that, picking things up at sales throughout the year and stashing them in the "presents box", which we then mine as necessary for various occasions at a later time.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

engineer27
Junior Lexiterian

Re: from CHRIS STEWART (e-mail today)

Postby engineer27 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:27 pm

our motto is "never put off till tomorrow what you can put off to the next day".
My motto is "Never put off till tomorrow what you can get out of doing altogether."

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:59 pm

You're an engineer. You sound like Wally. Do you work for a pointy-haired boss? Are you Wally? Wally is my idol!
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:15 am

Just got my notice a day late from the Procrastinator's Society that it's next meeting has been postponed...glad I'd put off going.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”