EXPIRY

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

EXPIRY

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:28 pm

• expiry •

Pronunciation: ek-spai-ree • Hear it![/color]

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. Expiration, deadline, as the expiry date of a food product. 2. Death, passing, as the expiry of an aged friend.

Notes: Today's good word is encountered less often in North America than in Britain and other English-speaking regions. Other than regional preference, it is a very close synonym of expiration, e.g. the expiratiion of my driver's license or the expiration of a dear friend after a long illness.

In Play: If you live outside the United States, you are probably acquainted with remarks like this, "Rick O'Shea was disappointed at his fiancée's reluctance to agree on an expiry for their prenuptial contract." You probably haven't heard anything like this use of the second meaning above: "According to unreliable sources, Lloyd's of London is offering insurance to shoe manufacturers around the world against the expiry of Imelda Marcos." Remember her?

Word History: A deadline might seem a pretty far stretch from death, so why do deadline and expiry refer to it? Well, deadline originated in our less enlightened days as the line beyond which a prisoner could not step without being shot dead. Expiry, on the other hand, goes back through Old French to Latin expirare "to breathe out, to breathe one's last breath". It is made from ex "out (of)" + spirare "to breathe". The verb, of course, also appears in inspirare "to breathe into" from which we developed inspire "inhale, inspire". Perspirare in Latin meant "breathe through" or "breathe all over". Honest. (Thanks to Hanie Vinson, of the San Francisco Department of Public Health, for inspiring us with today's Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:18 pm

You know, I've always pronounced this one EXpiry, never even considering the other option, despite its good old buddy expire. Somehow the given stress comes off as British to me. Anyone else?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:31 am

Having been a medical supplies quartermaster in the army, I have taken this word for granted as pronounced with the accent on the second syllable.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Return to “Good Word Discussion”