ENTROPY

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

ENTROPY

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:39 pm

• entropy •

Pronunciation: en-trê-pee • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. (Physics) The amount of energy in a closed system unavailable to do work (symbol S). 2. (Information Theory) The loss of information in a transmitted message. 3. The tendency of matter and energy to disintegrate into a state of uniform inertness. 4. The deterioration of a system or society over time.

Notes: This Good Word is a gift of the world of physics but has been avidly adopted by the general population. It comes with an adjective, entropic [in-trah-pik] and an adverb, entropically. Some speakers are already using this noun as a verb: "The reception quickly entropied into a uniform hum of mindless chit-chat." However, dictionaries have not yet validated this usage. Do not confuse this word with its cousin atrophy "wasting away, shrinking."

In Play: Let's skip the scientific senses of this Good Word and go directly to the more widely encountered figurative meanings. Today's contributor, Stan Brown, sees moral values changing by social entropy, as youth more and more adapt the unacceptable, bringing it closer and closer to the norm. Occasionally lemming-like mass blunders can lead to entropy in businesses: "My financial advisor, Barney Smith, predicts considerable entropy among the major financial institutions in the course of 2009."

Word History: Entropy is composed of Greek en "in" + trope "a change, turn". Another word for "figure of speech" in English is trope, the Greek word exactly with a meaning remindful of the English expression a "turn of phrase". The Greek word and its sense of poetically turning a phrase made its way into Late Latin, emerging in Provençal as trobar "to compose". A composer in that Romance language was a trobador, which French borrowed as troubadour. English picked this one off, too, on one of its many raids on the French vocabulary. The Greek word trope also went into the making of tropaion "monument of an enemy's defeat (turn in combat)", which Latin borrowed as trophaeum "victory monument". French in its own inimitable way transfigured this word into trophée, whereupon English snitched it and remolded it into trophy. (We hope suggestions like today's Good Word from Stan Brown never entropy.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: ENTROPY

Postby Slava » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:23 am

3.[/b] The tendency of matter and energy to disintegrate into a state of uniform inertness.
Gee, I never knew how to describe my feelings after a few beers. Now I know; I'm in a state of entropy. Yee ha!
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:24 am

Send us a shot of yourself in your inertness uniform. :lol:
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:38 pm

I would if I could just get motivated...

misterdoe
Senior Lexiterian

Postby misterdoe » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:34 am

I read this back in April but just noticed: "uniform inert-ness," not "inert-ia"? :?

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:53 am

I read this back in April but just noticed: "uniform inert-ness," not "inert-ia"? :?
Interesting catch, misterdoe. I do feel there is a difference, but I can't define it. Looked 'em up, too, but that was no help, as the first word of the definition of inertia was inertness.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/inertia

So, where do we go from here? I must admit, I'm experiencing a most definite period of inertia these days. Is this inertia or inertness? Good thing I'm too lazy to figure it out myself, or I might get hurt. Time to take a nap. ZZZ.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:59 am

Ness is Hebrew for miracle and also standard (in the sense of flag). So inertness is either miraculously inert, or it is "letting one's inert flag fly". 8) :roll: 8)
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Return to “Good Word Discussion”