RETRONYM

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: RETRONYM

Postby Philip Hudson » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:55 pm

Crushed tree sandwich for a book? I devour books, but that is not to be taken literally. At least two people in the Bible were given a scroll to eat. It tasted sweet but it gave the eater a stomach ache. As in "Mission Impossible","Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to tell the forum who these people were and what could the action possibly have meant." I know who they were, but I need to hear from someone as to what it means.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:40 pm

I'm a bit at sea here. Are you looking for a biblical exegesis on these people of whom you hinted? Or do you want me to go into more detail about where I found the phrase?

Or, to go off topic a bit, are you looking for an eisegesis?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:16 am

The eaters of the scrolls I had in mind were Ezekiel and John the Apostle (The authorship of Revelation is disputed but I believe it was John the Apostle.)

Then he said to me, “Son of man, eat this scroll I am giving you and fill your stomach with it.” So I ate it, and it tasted as sweet as honey in my mouth. Ezekiel 3:3 NIV

I took the little scroll from the angel's hand and ate it. It tasted as sweet as honey in my mouth, but when I had eaten it, my stomach turned sour. Revelation 10:10 NIV

I am asking for someone's take on an exegesis. I have read many, but I thought someone might have a fresh viewpoint. I am not asking for an eisegesis, but if that is all I can get, beggars can't be choosers.

Perhaps I want someone to find the sources and share the idea of devouring books. That would probably be an eisegesis.

If someone would like to take it as a text for a homily, that would be alright also. But only short homilies will be considered. I tend to drift off to sleep if they are too long.

John is obviously referencing Ezekiel.

Mostly I just wanted to keep this interesting thread going. Also, I ate a peanut butter sandwich earlier today and when I awoke from my nap it has turned bitter on me.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”