TETCHY

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

TETCHY

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:00 am

• tetchy •

Pronunciation: te-chee • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Peevish, testy, irritable.

Notes: For years I thought this word was a mispronunciation of touchy, a word with a similar meaning. As the Word History will show, touchy may have influenced today's Good Word but it is not the source of it. Tetchy is a normal authentic English word. It compares like short Germanic adjectives (tetchier, tetchiest) and has a noun that also requires the replacement of the Y by I: tetchiness.

In Play: This word is often used with the modifier mite instead of little: "Be careful of what you say to Hilda: she has been a mite tetchy since she accidentally locked herself in the toilet and had to wait for the locksmith to liberate her." I always like the alliteration resulting from combining it with tad, though: "Susan Liddy-Gates was a tad tetchy after losing a major civil case to the attorneys at the law firm of Howe, Dewey, Cheatham & Wynn."

Word History: This Good Word seems to be related to a host of historical words but none seem to have the right meaning. The Middle English word tache or teche "blemish" was taken from Old French tache, sometimes spelled teche, with the same meaning. If this is the source of today's adjective, how the meaning migrated to "peevish" is a mystery. Some have proposed that it was influenced by touchy; however, it is more likely that the meaning of this word was influenced by that of tetchy. Tache, if it is the source, was a descendant of Vulgar Latin tacca, a word Latin borrowed from the Germanic language, Gothic taikn "sign, token".
• The Good Dr. Goodword

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:30 am

Interesting word today, Doc! Thanks.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:41 am

Somehow I always thought "tetchy" was a hillbilly form of "touchy." Seems like they use the word in TV and movie scripts that way.
pl

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:19 pm

I've never heard the adjective before, only the past tense of the verb, as in "He was a might tetched in the head."
tetched also teched (tӗcht) KEY

ADJECTIVE:
Informal
Somewhat unbalanced mentally; touched.

ETYMOLOGY:
Alteration (influenced by obsolete tached, of a given disposition), of touched
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

scw1217
Lexiterian

Re: TETCHY

Postby scw1217 » Fri May 01, 2009 12:36 pm

at the law firm of Howe, Dewey, Cheatham & Wynn."
Had a good laugh at this one, good Dr.
Suzanne D. Williams, Author
http://www.feelgoodromance.com

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sat May 02, 2009 12:48 pm

I think those were his partners in a previous business ...
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Return to “Good Word Discussion”