ZAFTIG

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

ZAFTIG

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sun May 03, 2009 11:37 pm

• zaftig •

Pronunciation: zahf-tig or zahf-tik • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: 1. Bosomy. 2. Having a full, rounded figure (usually of a woman), Rubenesque.
Notes: The American prejudice that everything should be bigger and better no longer carries over to the human figure. However, there is a point at which well-distributed plumpishness is attractive and this Good Word speaks to that point. Marilyn Monroe had a zaftig figure, as did Mae West. I'm sure you know many more. While this Good Word must be used sensitively, it provides you with a Germanic alternative to the Romance synonym, Rubenesque—if you have preferences in the geography of our lexical pillage.

In Play: Again, use this word sensitively but don't let it scare you away, "Jessie Noff has a zaftig figure and a profound creative talent, a combination some of her friends can't get their minds around." Of course, we can move off base with this good word, too, so long as its reference is in some sense feminine, "Wendell enjoyed spending the evenings cruising retro-chic chicks along the boulevard in his zaftig 1960 Cadillac."

Word History: Today's word is another contribution from our Jewish communities. It is mellowed version of Yiddish zaftik "juicy, zaftig", from German saftig "juicy", the adjective from Saft "juice". It is a kinsword of English sap. The alphaDictionary Think Tank is still bobbing for an answer to the question of why the English correlate, sappy, bears none of the connotations of its Yiddish cousin.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Mon May 04, 2009 3:44 pm

Always like this word, even when I was young and didn't know what it meant! I think I just like the sound of it.

Was there ever a time when saftig/zaftik had some meaning along the lines of sweet or sweetness? If so perhaps there's a connection between zaftik/saftig and sappy. Doesn't seem like there would be much of a leap between dual meanings of sweet/juicy. Of course (obviously) pure conjecture on my part...

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue May 05, 2009 12:35 am

From the Completely Updated The New Joys Of Yiddish by Leo Rosten, Revised by Lawrence Bush:
zaftik[sup]Y[/sup]
zaftig[sup]R[/sup]

Pronounced ZOFF-tik, to rhyme with "soft wick," or ZOFF-tig, to rhyme with "boff wig." From German: "juicy," "luscious."

1. Juicy. "What a zaftik plum!"

2. Provocative, seminal, germinal. "The book is full of zaftik ideas."

3. Plump, buxom, well-rounded (of a female). This is the most frequent American usage.

Zaftik describes in one word what it takes two hands, outlining an hourglass figure, to do.

-----
Two zaftik matrons talking:

"I think women like us should take a greater interest in politics ... Tell me, what do you think of the Common Market?"[sup]*[/sup]

"I still prefer the A & P."

[sup]*[/sup]Predecessor to the European Union
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

misterdoe
Senior Lexiterian

Postby misterdoe » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:33 pm

:lol: at the last description of zaftig and at the Common Market joke.

I for one can't understand why, as the good Doctor Goodword says,
The American prejudice that everything should be bigger and better no longer carries over to the human figure.
Women "of some size" :) are always more pleasing to the eye (mine, anyway) than a skinny woman.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:46 pm

"She was a perfect 36: 12, 12, 12."
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Return to “Good Word Discussion”