Ever want to stick it to ETIQUETTE?

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Ever want to stick it to ETIQUETTE?

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:15 pm

• etiquette •

Pronunciation: ed-i-kêt • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun, mass

Meaning: A code of polite or acceptable behavior as prescribed by an authority.

Notes: Using today's Good Word requires remembering that it retains its original French spelling, including a QU combination pronounced [k]. The reduction of a T between vowels to a [d] pronunciation is most noticeable in the US, but it does occur elsewhere among English dialects. Remember that the first consonant in this word is spelled T.

In Play: We most commonly associate etiquette with the polite behavior of the upper classes: "Lindsey Woolsey so grossly violated social etiquette when she ate her salad with her dinner fork that she was never again invited to dine at the Farthingsworth estate." However, other social groups have their own rules of etiquette, too: "Russian party etiquette demands that anyone arriving late drink as many shots as the others at the party drank while waiting for them."

Word History: Both etiquette and ticket come from the same source, Old French estiquet "note, label, sticker", and later, simply etiquet. This word referred to small notes attached to various objects, explaining them, including notes explaining proper behavior in courts. English borrowed this word in the 16th century as tiket "written notice, certification", dropping the initial E. By the second half of the 17th century, tiket was being used as a ticket of admission, i.e. a certification of payment. In French the word then went on to become étiquette "registration book", a book which officially certified ceremonies. Never missing an opportunity, English borrowed the French word again in the 18th century in the sense of the prescribed routine of the courtroom. From there it expanded to prescriptive routines in general. So, where did the Old French word originate? It came from the Old French verb estiquer "to stick, affix", borrowed from Old Low German (Dutch) stekan "to stick". This same word dribbled down to Modern English as stick, the verb. (We must follow our own etiquette at this point and thank John Duffus for sticking to the job of convincing us to run this verb Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:23 am

It took me a while to accept that "etiketka," was Russian for label. Just how could good manners and social behavior have anything to do with a label? I have to keep reminding myself that Russian has many borrowed words from long ago that have changed meanings in modern English.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:05 pm

It took me a while to accept that "etiketka," was Russian for label. Just how could good manners and social behavior have anything to do with a label? I have to keep reminding myself that Russian has many borrowed words from long ago that have changed meanings in modern English.
If you followed good manners, you were labeled as one of the aristocracy, not one of those revolting ;) peasants.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Return to “Good Word Discussion”