QUINCUNX? An English word?

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

QUINCUNX? An English word?

Postby Dr. Goodword » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:49 pm

• quincunx •

Pronunciation: kwin-kênks • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: An arrangement of five objects so that four form the corners of a square and the fifth marks the center (see the illustration).

Notes: I had to include this bizarre little word in our series as a curiosity—a real word but curiously spelled and pronounced. A quincunx is a quincuncial (the adjective) arrangement of items that are arranged quincuncially (the adverb). A quincuncial arrangement is often repeated, especially in planting trees in an orchard, leaving the impression of diagonal rows, as in the illustration to the left.

In Play: A quincunx may be part of a decorating scheme: "Gay LaVente placed the candles in a perfect quincunx on the table as though they had some sort of secret meaning to her." It is also a farming tool: "Lynn Seed laid out her entire garden in overlapping quincunxes."

Word History: We are obviously dealing with a Latin word copied letter for letter out of that language: quincunx "five-twelfths". This word came from the name of a Roman coin bearing this pattern worth five-twelfths of an as, a standard unit of Roman currency. The word is based on quinque "five" + uncia "twelfth part", oddly derived from unus "one". Whatever its origins, Old English borrowed it as ynce "a twelfth". Over the course of Middle English, this word wandered off in two directions, becoming inch, a twelfth of a foot, and ounce, a twelfth of a pound in Troy weight though 1/16 of a pound Avoirdupois, which we now use. (Many thanks to Lee Blue for suggesting quincunx, a word that defies Dr. Goodword's ability to work Good Words into acknowledgements like this.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:33 pm

I remember learning this word and then realizing that it was the perfect description of the rings covering the windows in one of the apartments in the building across from mine. A nice quincunx of iron rings, instead of bars. Why they felt they were necessary was beyond me, though. It was after all on the tenth floor of a flat-walled building.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

beck123
Lexiterian

Postby beck123 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:43 pm

You are assuming they were installed to keep people out.
Beck

"I don't know whether ignorance or apathy is worse, and, frankly, I don't care." - Anonymous

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:17 pm

I don't see any illustrations as mentioned.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Audiendus
Wordmaster

Postby Audiendus » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:10 pm

Quincunx is also used in astrology to mean an angle of 150° (i.e. 5/12 of a circle).

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:22 pm

Quincunx is also used in astrology to mean an angle of 150° (i.e. 5/12 of a circle).
Astrology? Or astronomy?

saparris
Wordmaster

Postby saparris » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:55 pm

Astrology, according to the dictionary.
Ars longa, vita brevis

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:04 pm

Encyclopedia Britannia:
quincunx (architecture) quincunx (mechanical device)
More Results
North Indian temple architecture (architectural style) Western architecture Sir Thomas Browne (English author) physical anthropology South Asian arts Byzantine art Pre Rup (mountain, Indonesia) anthropology Southeast Asian arts Bakheng (temple mountain, Cambodia) temple (building) biometry (analysis method) Indian architecture design (arts and technology).
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

MarkS
Junior Lexiterian

Postby MarkS » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:36 pm

the pattern of dots for 5 on a die or playing card is one of the most common examples of a quincunx

Return to “Good Word Discussion”