Perambulate

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Perambulate

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:22 am

• perambulate •

Pronunciation: pêr-ræm-byê-layt • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Verb

Meaning: 1. (Intransitive) To wander or amble around, to stroll with no particular destination in mind. 2. (Transitive) To walk around something, to inspect an area on foot, as to perambulate a property before buying it.

Notes: Today's Good Latinate Word comes with an embarrassment of trimmings: perambulation, the action noun, perambulator, the personal noun (with that special meaning of "a baby carriage"), and a wide selection of adjectives: perambulatory, perambulant, or even the plain and ordinary perambulating.

In Play: Perambulating is walking, usually at a slow pace, without a destination: "Sir Cuitus is currently perambulating in the park—looking for his mind, I suspect." The noun perambulator refers to the vehicle that allows parents to perambulate with their babies. As those outside the US know, this word has been drastically shortened to pram: "Hon, the baby jumped out of the pram today and chased a dog down the street. Maybe he's outgrown it."

Word History: Today's Good Word comes to us from the Latin word perambulatus "walked through, about", the past participle of perambulare "to walk through, about", a verb comprising per- "through, about" + ambulare "to walk." The underlying verb here, ambulare is, of course, also the source of English amble. Its present participle, ambulan(t)s "walking" became attached to mobile hospitals in French, where hôpital ambulant "field hospital" literally meant "walking hospital". Since ambulances are rather small mobile hospitals, the transference of this word to them was rather inevitable. (Without any perambulation, I would like to come directly to the point and thank Susan Ardith Lee for her suggestion of this very Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Perambulators and Perambulators

Postby Dr. Goodword » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:48 pm

I wish I could get everyone who writes me to join the Agora. I just posted this story from Eileen Opiolka, drawn out of her memories by this Good Word.

“Today’s good word [perambulate] reminded me of my husband’s first visit to Cambridge’s colleges over 30 years ago. In those days his Latin was stronger than his English, so when he saw the notice “No perambulators”, he docilely decided not to go in. Pity!”
• The Good Dr. Goodword

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:13 am

I wish you could, too, Doc.

Thank you for passing that on...you're not just writing to yourself here, despite the feedback, or lack thereof.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Perambulators and Perambulators

Postby Slava » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:08 pm

I wish I could get everyone who writes me to join the Agora.
I wonder what would happen if you shut down the blog and ran the Agora as the blog. Then people would have to post here, making the place a bit more lively. If there are a half dozen regular posters, that's pushing it, and we need people to bounce ideas off of and play with. Wah! I need more playmates! (No, not THAT kind!)
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Language Blog Vs. Agora

Postby Dr. Goodword » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:21 am

I can't close the blog because it has hundreds of links to blog sites which bring in traffic. Is there a way to link them so that discussions on one is fed to the other?
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Language Blog Vs. Agora

Postby Slava » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:59 pm

I can't close the blog because it has hundreds of links to blog sites which bring in traffic. Is there a way to link them so that discussions on one is fed to the other?
Sorry, I can't help with that one. I know next to nothing about that kind of thing. The Agora does need help, though. At times it is so moribund that I start to question why I bother myself.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Language Blog Vs. Agora

Postby Slava » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:18 pm

There is, of course, the opposite idea. Not one I advocate, but it's still out there for consideration. Close the Agora and do everything on the blog. You'd lose a few posters, most likely. But at least you'd have it all in one place.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:30 pm

Again, I know this is an old thread, but I get
curiouser and curiouser.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

saparris
Wordmaster

Postby saparris » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:41 pm

We newcomers like the forum. The last one we were on just shut down, and several of us perambulated to Alpha Agora. Don't change anything. We're just now getting settled.
Ars longa, vita brevis

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:43 am

And we have a few others "on the string" just
waiting for a 'shove" before they join.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Return to “Good Word Discussion”