Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Goodword » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:46 pm

Pronunciation: æ-vê-tah(r) • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. The incarnation of a Hindu deity in human form. 2. An epitome, archetype, or embodiment of something, as the avatar of good or evil. 3. (Computers, Web) A character or image assumed by a player in a computer or online game.

Notes: The new blockbuster 3-D movie Avatar pushed this suggestion to the top of our list of suggested Good Words. I finally saw the movie and, even though I don't particularly like programmatic horror movies, this one is technically breath-taking. The name wanders a bit off course, since the good guys are really clones of themselves rather than incarnations of abstract ideals. But don't let that keep you away from the experience of it.

In Play: Avatars are abstract ideas in real (human) form: "Barney Smith was an avatar of the modern investment broker until his investment in derivatives destroyed his company in the 2008 banking crash." The source of our principles can usually be portrayed as avatars: "I would not have survived to adulthood had my mother not been an avatar of kindness and the unflickering cynosure of my teen years."

Word History: The original meaning of today's Good Word predicted its own future. The word comes from Sanskrit avatarah "descent" and the sense of this word has descended from the incarnation of a god to an image manipulated by someone in a computer game. The Sanskrit word comprises ava "down" + tarati "crosses over". The root of tarati also appears in tiram "brink" in Sanskrit (the oldest known Indo-European language), a sense that the Greek cast into its variation of the same word, terma "goal". Latin kept the sense of the original word in trans "across, over" but still used the newer sense in terminus "boundary, limit". (We would like to thank Perry Lassiter for coming across with today's Good Word, whether an avatar or not.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:06 pm

I believe the term "avatar" is now being used by Facebook and Twitter users to refer to the small picture that appears beside each post. Most are true pictures, but creativity abounds with all sorts of tokens, drawings, and creative symbols. Many change the avatars frequently. Others, such as I, tend to leave the same pic forever.
pl

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:24 am

PL, you're right.

The term avatar is also used on THIS site referring to the same thing...it's used on most any of the discussion forum sites that allow a person to post, well, an avatar.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:53 pm

And if your 'avatar' is an embodiment of yourself, I think
I would enjoy conversation at a party anytime.
I need to get one myself.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Return to “Good Word Discussion”