KERPLUNK

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

KERPLUNK

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:46 am

• kerplunk •

Pronunciation: kêr-plêngkHear it!

Part of Speech: Interjection, Verb

Meaning: 1. An interjection imitating the sound of something slightly ringy slamming down on something. 2. A verb meaning the same thing as plunk.

Notes: We use today's Good Word all the time without thinking about it. It is an onomatopoetic interjection, imitating the sound of something that makes a sound resembling [plêngk] hitting something, almost anything. It may also be used as a verb: "If you want a ride to California, kerplunk your share of the gas money on the table right now." We see it in many similar words, such as kersplash, kerflop, kerbam.

In Play: Today's word is so loosely defined, it can fit almost any sound of a small object hitting a larger one: "Cookie Baker was sitting in the garden trying to think of what kind of pie to bake when a pecan fell out of the tree above her and hit her kerplunk, right on her head." This interjection also can imitate the sound of something hitting the water: "When Jack Hammer leapt over the little stream, his lunch bag slipped out of his hand and went kerplunk into the water."

Word History: Today's Good Word is plunk with a mysterious prefix, ker-, which often comes up as simply ka- (ka-boom, ka-ching). Plunk is something of a mystery itself. The best speculation I have heard is that is it a variation of pluck that sounds more like the string of a string instrument being plucked. It was first used in reference to "plunking" on fiddle strings. However, since it also sounds like a heavy metal coin hitting the counter, it picked up that sense, too. It is obvious that more play than grammar went into the making of today's Good Word. (We heartily thank Joe Heckel for kerplunking this Good Word on our desk.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:07 pm

The verbal use of this must be localized. I've never heard it used as a verb, and I've been around for nearly a half century. I've always taken it as a simple onomatopoeic term, as in plop.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:27 pm

I've never seen it used as a verb either, just
"kerplunk, the rock spashed in the birdbath".
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Return to “Good Word Discussion”