WAIF

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

WAIF

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:40 pm

• waif •

Pronunciation: wayf • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. An abandoned or homeless child or stray animal. 2. An extremely thin person. 3. (Law) A piece of found property with no indication of ownership. 4. Something waved or carried by the wind, a waif of smoke or cloud.

Notes: The meanings of today's word have settled on the first two above but the last two are still available. In Moby Dick, Melville used waif in the naval sense of a small flag, something that waves in the wind. As we will see below, the similarity of the sounds of waif and wave is not coincidental.

In Play: There are parts of the world where, unfortunately, we still see waifs in the first sense of today's word: "Lester was appalled and heartbroken at the sight of waifs roaming the streets after the cataclysm in Haiti." The second sense of today's word is prominent in the world of modeling: "After six months on her diet, Melanie was a mere waif."

Word History: Today's Good Word started out thousands of years ago as weip- "turn, tremble" and came down to Proto-Germanic as waif-. It went on to become wave in modern English but remained as something like waif or veif in the Scandinavian languages (which are also Germanic). So English borrowed it back from the Vikings in the sense of "flag" and "something loose and floating about (in the wind)." This latter sense soon became "ownerless property, flotsam, wandering animals and people". The usual slimness of homeless children led to the second meaning only recently. (We own a wave of gratitude to William Hupy today for suggesting this very interesting Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: WAIF

Postby Slava » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:09 pm

2. An extremely thin person.
I guess this gives new meaning to "wafer thin." :lol:
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:13 pm

I had a boy in a class I taught once who was
"wafer thin" I used to think to myself that if
he were to wander "sans" clothes he would look
like a round candy on a stick (I forget what it is
called, but has tootsie roll inside.)
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Return to “Good Word Discussion”