PARSIMONY

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

PARSIMONY

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:21 am

• parsimony •

Pronunciation: pahr-sê-mo-nee • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun, mass

Meaning: 1. Frugality, husbandry, economy, the judicious, even sparing use of resources. 2. Tight-fisted stinginess.

Notes: The adjective of this Good Word is parsimonious [pahr-sê-mo-ni-ês] and the adverb, parsimoniously. A penurious person is usually stingy because of poverty. A parsimonious person is simply judicious in spending habits. The Law of Parsimony, on the other hand, also known as Occam's Razor, is a preference for the simplest explanation of the largest array of facts. Occam's Razor cuts off the superfluous. In short: it is best to explain the most you can with the fewest words—it's the law!

In Play: Today's Good Word reflects an attitude that often goes out the window. Edmund Burke once wrote, "Mere parsimony is not economy.... Expense, and great expense, may be an essential part in true economy." In other words, keep an eye on the long term. It is the case that today's word is not ineluctably wedded to finances: "Mom, don't be so parsimonious with the mashed potatoes; I'm a growing boy!"

Word History: Today's Good Word was taken from French, which got it from Latin parsimonia "parsimony". The Latin noun is built on parsus, the past participle of parcere "to be sparing". The root is probably related to the Greek word sparnos "rare, uncommon" and English spare. It is also tied to Latin parvus "small" and paucus "few." (We should not be parsimonious with our gratitude to Katy Brezger for suggesting today's very Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:19 pm

A bit silly, I know, but I often start to pronounce this word as if it were an herb: parsImony. I catch myself, but the desire is still there every time I see it.

And, yes, for the British English people out there, that should read "a herb."

An interesting report on this difference is given in KatyBr's post from way back: http://www.alphadictionary.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1158
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

saparris
Wordmaster

Postby saparris » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:34 pm

Just as long as you don't order an hamburger....
Ars longa, vita brevis

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:41 pm

A bit silly, I know, but I often start to pronounce this word as if it were an herb: parsImony. I catch myself, but the desire is still there every time I see it.
[unquoted font]
A bit silly, I know, but I often start to pronounce this word as if it were an herb: parsImony
[/unquoted font]

Oh, the evils of the sans serif fonts! I was all set to ask if you tend to speak Parsl-tongue a lot. (Parsel-tongue; I've read and watched too much Harry Potter, I guess)
That's 'Par-sl, not 'Par-sI with a long "i" (or does the "I" mark the accent and not the length of the vowel, i. e., par-SI-mo-ny? That's the way I tend to pronounce it, but then, I'm just your basic uncouth Phillistine, and PAR-si-mo-ny sounds so sanctimonious to me.); and parsi is something else altogether

Speaking of parsimony, you haven't been dealing in res ecclesiasticae again, have you?
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Return to “Good Word Discussion”