TACITURN

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

TACITURN

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:33 pm

• taciturn •

Pronunciation: tæ-sê-têrn • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: Quiet, abstaining from talk or conversation, saying little to nothing in the company of others.

Notes: Today's word is a member of a happy family that includes the noun, taciturnity, and an adverb, taciturnly. The adjectives reticent and laconic are similar in meaning but not synonyms. Reticent implies a reluctance to express yourself for some reason, usually fear, holding back something known. (It does NOT mean "hesitant"!) A laconic person speaks clearly but tersely, in short, precise phrases that do not waste words.

In Play: Taciturnity is a shortage of speech that borders on the unsociable, a reluctance to speak even when necessary: "Mr. Rhee has been taciturn all week; they say he is sulking over Hetty's rejection of his proposal." It can also simply be a rather appealing personality trait, "Miss Teak is a bright though taciturn woman, who expresses herself better in writing than in conversation."

Word History: Today's word is another one we slipped out of Latin when it wasn't looking. Latin taciturnus comes from the noun tacitus "silent", the past participle of tacere "to be silent". A related word is tacit "unspoken but implied", which we also use freely. Few other words seem related to this stem. However, one famous name is Cornelius Tacitus (ca. 55-120) who, despite being named Silence, was one of the most elegant orators and historians of his day. (We are, of course, most grateful that Luis Alejandro Apiolaza is not taciturn when he thinks of very Good Words like this one, which he suggested for today.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:32 pm

A repeat word, but one with a wild history. Three pages of commentary, much of which went wildly astray from the actual word:

http://www.alphadictionary.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=899

Too bad I've forgotten my Latin.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

saparris
Wordmaster

Postby saparris » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:20 am

I don't want to comment on this word because I am inclined to silence.
Ars longa, vita brevis

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:13 pm

I don't want to comment on this word because I am inclined to silence.
That must be why your pen is golden, then.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

saparris
Wordmaster

Postby saparris » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:22 pm

That must be why your pen is golden, then.
I actually have that pen in black and in burgundy, but I never use them. Ball points are much less messy.
Ars longa, vita brevis

Return to “Good Word Discussion”