TRENCHANT

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

TRENCHANT

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:10 pm

• trenchant •

Pronunciation: trench-ênt • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: 1. Sharp, to the point, aggressive, vigorous, and effective. 2. Sharply defined, clearly outlined, distinct.

Notes: The adverb for today's word is trenchantly and the noun, trenchancy. Don't worry about the trenches when using this word, the only pitfall to beware is the suffix -ant—always spelled with an A rather than an E.

In Play: This is a fine word to use amidst today's political problems: "Many are calling for trenchant measures to regain control of federal and state budgets." Unfortunately, no one in Washington has a trenchant plan that shows promise of success (meaning No. 2). Perhaps our use of this Good Word might spur law-makers to be more trenchant in their thinking. Think so?

Word History: Today's Good word comes from Old French, trenchant "cutting", the present participle of trenchier "to cut". This is the same root that gave us trench, a long cut in the ground. The original root in Proto-Indo-European, the ancient language from which most European languages developed, meant "to pass over", as a saw passes over what it cuts. That is why the Latin prefix trans- "across" also developed from the same root. (We must thank Dr. Lyn Laboriel for so trenchantly transmitting this very Good Word to us for our series.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Postby MTC » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:05 am

Just a guess: Is perhaps Dr. Laboriel a surgeon?

Be that as it may, an appetizing word from the same Old French root, trenchier, is "trencherman."

trench·er·man (trĕnˈchər-mən)
noun
A hearty eater.
(Archaic) One who frequents another's table; a hanger-on or parasite.

Images of medieval banquet halls, Tom Jones-like feasts, and bad table manners spring to mind...

bamaboy56
Lexiterian

Postby bamaboy56 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:45 pm

Sounds like a bad family reunion banquet to me! :D
Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I'm going to change myself. -- Rumi

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:23 pm

Following up on the surgeon question and trencherman addition, this is related to our financial term "tranche." They are all tied into the idea of cutting, slicing, and whatnot. While the word "surgeon" may not be related, that do be what they do.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Pattie
Junior Lexiterian

trenchant

Postby Pattie » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:54 am

Trencherman - one who was adept at (or enthusiactic in) the use of a trencher, a medieval table tool, although a trencher itself did not cut but rather was cut: originally a piece of hard bread used as a plate or to sop up sauce.
PattieT

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: trenchant

Postby Slava » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:35 am

Trencherman - one who was adept at (or enthusiactic in) the use of a trencher, a medieval table tool, although a trencher itself did not cut but rather was cut: originally a piece of hard bread used as a plate or to sop up sauce.
I like using trenchers of rye toast to sop up the yellow slop from my eggs at breakfast.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:01 pm

All this is making me hungry.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Return to “Good Word Discussion”