ONYCHOPHAGIA

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

ONYCHOPHAGIA

Postby Slava » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:00 am

• onychophagia •

Pronunciation: ah-nê-kê-fay-ji-ê • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun, mass (no plural)

Meaning: The nervous habit of biting the nails, usually those on the fingers, since our nerves seldom drive us to nibble those on our toes.

Notes: A nail-biter is an onychophagic (the personal noun) and onychophagic does double duty as the adjective, as in "His onychophagic impulses are so strong, Hans Orf wears gloves and shoes around the clock." A doctor specializing in this minor disorder would be, I guess, an onychophagiologist.

In Play: "Why do I need this word?" you are asking yourself. Well, it has several uses. If you are a nail-biter, it serves as a term that suggests that nail-biting is a medical condition, shifting any blame from your shoulders: "I use artificial nails to cover up the damage caused by my onychophagia." If you would like to stop someone in your family from biting their nails, here is just the word to scare them into doing it: "Weldon, if you don't learn to control your onychophagia I will have to take you to an onychophagiologist for treatment."

Word History: Today's peculiar word is a Greek compound comprising the root of onyx (onycho-) "(finger/toe) nail" + phagia "eating". The Greeks used their word for "nail" to name the stone from which cameos are made (onyx) because of the similarity in color. Phagia "eating" is the noun form of phagein "to eat", a verb whose root is also visible in sarcophagus. Sarcophagus means "flesh-eater" from the fact that ancient Greeks believed that the limestone sarcophagi they buried their dead in ate away the flesh. (We won't leave you biting your nails any longer but will reveal right now that our Brazilian friend, Luciano Eduardo de Oliveira, suggested today's Good Word.)

Pattie
Junior Lexiterian

onychophagia

Postby Pattie » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:08 am

What a wonderful word for a very mundane habit! And there are some other useful phagia/phagic words. Those of us who have ever had anything to do with sheepdogs will know that they often enjoy consuming sheep droppings - coprophagic creatures that they are!
PattieT

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:12 pm

I am a fan of a number of actors. As we are all, probably.
When I saw Elijah Wood, whom I've enjoyed since
childhood, hold the ring in LOTR, and he had no
fingernails, I was amazed: he needs this word.

Edit: I had a brother who DID chew his toenails. I know
Gross.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Return to “Good Word Discussion”