GUSSY

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

GUSSY

Postby Dr. Goodword » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:17 am

• gussy •

Pronunciation: gê-see • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Verb, transitive

Meaning: (Slang) To dress to the hilt, dress to the nines, to deck out in a striking fashion.

Notes: Today's Good Word is a purely English one, so the usual cast of Latin suffixes, like -ment, -ive, and -ation are not available to it. The noun and adjective are both gussying and, aside from the regular verb forms like gussies and gussied, we have little to gussy it up with. Do be careful to change the Y to an I (i) when you add the English endings, though.

In Play: Today's Good Word is most frequently encountered in the phrase "all gussied up": "I saw Miss Maud Lynn Dresser, all gussied up as usual, gallivanting around the mall this morning." People aren't the only things suitable for gussying: "If the president and his wife are coming to dinner tomorrow night, I suppose I should gussy up the house a bit before they arrive."

Word History: This slang word, heard most often in the United States these days, apparently originated in Australia. At the turn of the century a gussie was an effeminate man, often stereotyped as someone who overdresses. Gussie is the nickname for both Augusta and Augustus, though it is (was) usually a feminine name. The sixth month of the later Roman calendar was renamed in 8 BC to honor Emperor Augustus Caesar. Today it is the eighth month. This name came from augustus, a Latin word meaning "majestic, august, revered". Augustus is related to augur and augment. The root apparently meant "increase, improve" four thousand years ago—just what you do when you gussy up today! (Both gussy and gallivant were among my Southern mother's most distinctive words. I dedicate today's Good Word to her memory, Kathleen Bullard Beard of Eastover, North Carolina.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:19 am

in current usage does anyone think that a male could be gussied up? Or is this strictly for women now?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:49 am

I can imagine myself saying it to a guy, but it's not the first term that would come to mind. If I did it would not imply femininity.
pl

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:55 pm

I can't imagine saying it to a man under any circumstances.

I appreciate the word "guy" used in the masculine sense only. Since certain Yankees began saying "youse guys" and enlargint the mantle to cover males and females in the word, it has become pretty universally to be a common word iof familiar address to people of both sexes.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”