Cult

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Cult

Postby Dr. Goodword » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:23 pm

• cult •

Pronunciation: kêlt • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. A small religious sect of people considered eccentric or bizarre, usually led by an authoritarian person. 2. The idealization of one person by propagandistic means, as the cult of personality, formerly associated with Soviet leaders. 3. Any small group united by a love of or devotion to the eccentric, such as a film cult. 4. A community of religious ceremony or ritual.

Notes: This word has become fashionable among the majority of English speakers in light of the various groups that choose to behave differently that the majority. Since the media focus generally on the grotesque ones, like the People's Temple led by Jim Jones and the Branch Dravidians led by David Koresh, the term has taken on a pejorative pall in recent times. The adjectives for this word are cultic or cultist (which also serves as the personal noun), and the practice of forming cults is cultism.

In Play: Robert Jeffress, pastor of the First Baptist Church of Dallas, recently claimed that Mitt Romney's religion, Mormonism, is a cult. For this reason Lew Jury thought this word would be a topical Good Word: "Ally Louia is the center of a veritable cult whose members believe that chocolate can save the world." Most cults claim to be based on love and independence, which makes their pejorative reputation difficult to understand: "We have a huggy-kissy cult on a farm outside our city."

Word History: Today's Good Word comes to us, via French, from Latin cultus "care, labor; cultivation". The word originally meant "tended, cultivated", the past participle of colere "to till". The word originally referred to people who tilled land together. This led to the derivation of colonius "settler, cultivator", which English took as colony. It then moved on to "the totality of behavior patterns, beliefs, and institutions", i.e., culture. From there the meaning dwindled to that of cult. (Now let us thank Lew Jury, who has a small cult following here at alphaDictionary focusing on words.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:16 am

In serious religious, Biblical, and archaeological scholarship, the last meaning prevails. Often I will read Old Testament scholars referring to Israel's "cult," by which they mean its relgious rituals. The same goes for archaeologists' attempts to recover religious practices, sometimes re priestly practices, altars, and sacrifices. The connotations are always neutral, neither pejorative nor approving.
pl

jisner2
Junior Lexiterian

Postby jisner2 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:35 pm

Early Christianity was considered a cult by both Jews and Romans; Islam was long considered a cult by medieval Christians; and, of course, many Protestant groups, from the Baptists to the Quakers, were considered cults by other Christians.

The distinction between "cult" and "religion" is given by a simple formula:

Religion = Cult + 100 years

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:09 pm

Another new poster! Great! Keep it up. There's a lot of truth in that formula. Also remember "cult" is just a word, and many using it in the Republican wars have ulterior motives, such as pushing their preferred candidate. Back in the 50's there was a book whose title is trying to surface in my poor brain by one of the Neibuhrs I think. had something to do with protestants and social class. As I recall the theory put Episcopalians at the top as the elite class, and Pentecostals at or near the bottom. Everybody has elevated since then, but much remains true. People pick churches at least partly from status.
pl

bamaboy56
Lexiterian

Postby bamaboy56 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:10 pm

Welcome, jisner2! Just a comment: seems like almost every time I've heard the word "cult", it's almost always used in a perjorative way. I believe that's the way Robert Jeffress meant it. Nice to know it also has neutral connotations. Why is it that when someone agrees with a certain set of beliefs, it's a religion; but when one disagrees with another's beliefs, it's a "cult" (in the perjorative sense)? Just saying.
Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I'm going to change myself. -- Rumi

misterdoe
Senior Lexiterian

Postby misterdoe » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:22 am

It has many neutral-to-positive connotations, mostly related to the third listed definition. The example is "film cult," which is a new one to me, but how about "cult film," one with a very devoted following, like "The Gods Must Be Crazy," or the John Cusack movie "Better Off Dead." (For a laugh, Google "I want my two dollars!" or "perfectly good white boy".)

And in until the 1980s, at least, there was what was called a "cult jam," an R&B song (often instrumental) that became popular on radio but whose record label went out of business trying to fill the retail demand. Meaning, many people know it from the radio but few actually have a copy, making any available copy valuable.

Pattie
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Pattie » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:18 am

A cult whose members think that chocolate can save the world? Now that's one I could believe in and would join!
PattieT

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:53 am

Early Christianity was considered a cult by both Jews and Romans; Islam was long considered a cult by medieval Christians; and, of course, many Protestant groups, from the Baptists to the Quakers, were considered cults by other Christians.

The distinction between "cult" and "religion" is given by a simple formula:

Religion = Cult + 100 years

WELCOME
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:57 am

A cult whose members think that chocolate can save the world? Now that's one I could believe in and would join!

Cult of Chocolate:

http://thechocolatecult.blogspot.com/

http://www.facebook.com/thechooclatecult

ENJOY

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: CULT

Postby Philip Hudson » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:21 pm

jisner2: Your formula, Religion = Cult + 100 years, is cute but perhaps not apt. I tend to avoid the word cult in the religious sense and describe all of them as religions. As a Christian I believe Christianity is the true religion and all others are simply mistaken. Christianity is an exclusivist religion. My test for Christian fellowship, however, is quite simple. If your Christology is that of the historical Christian confessions, you are my brother or sister. If you are not a Christian by my definition, I love you anyway.

You may be interested in knowing that Baptists are still considered cultists in Switzerland and many other places. We once had a seminary in Switzerland and it was banned. It moved to the Czech Republic, a more friendly environment. There is also one in the Netherlands where there is a favorable environment. Baptists are fast becoming a cult by definition in England. Wicca is trying to take Christianity's place there and is making great strides.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Postby call_copse » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:59 am

Most English people are fairly straightforward:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... ales-study

Religion has had it's time here, it's a dead meme. Of course there will likely always be a cultural theme of Christianity. This despite Trumpers assuring us we are currently overrun with Muslims!
Iain

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:08 am

Not wishing to get into a political debate here, just noting a nice turn of phrase from an NYT column yesterday: Trump's trough of putrescence.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:42 am

I enlarge upon the bard to say,something has always been rotten in the state of Denmark [and every other state]. I wonder what my hero, Winston Churchill's, take on Donald Trump would be. An enigma wrapped in what? Putrescence? To get political, do any of you on the international scene have a take on Trump.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:13 pm

It's a good thing we are not getting political here.
And let's stop before we do.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:39 pm

Okay.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”