Bamboozle

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Bamboozle

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:21 am

• bamboozle •

Pronunciation: bæm-bu-zêl • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Verb

Meaning: (Colloquial) 1. To pull the wool over someone's eyes, to trick or deceive, to dupe, fool. 2. To cheat out of, to obtain by hoax, cozen, hoodwink.

Notes: Today's Good Word could be classified as one of the funniest words in English for its sound and meaning. It is used in situations where you want to say "cheat" but in an inoffensive way. Wags have tried bamboozlement as a noun for this word, even funnier than the original adjective. If you want to play it safe, stick to bamboozling; it works as an adjective, too.

In Play: We are, unfortunately, surrounded by many examples of bamboozlement: "We have the best Congress money can buy; so why does it constantly bamboozle us?" We don't have to look at national politics for examples of bamboozlement: "Galen, how did you bamboozle your sister's share of the candy I gave both of you?"

Word History: This word popped up in English around 1700, when it was mentioned in an article in the Tatler on the continual corruption of the English tongue. (Yes, folks were complaining about the corruption of English way back then.) Originally it must have been a cant word, e.g. criminal jargon. It might have come from Scottish bombaze "perplex", which is related to bombast. More likely it comes from French embabuiner "to make a baboon (a fool) of". Notice the similarity of today's Good Word and the English word baboon. They are intelligent and crafty animals and so their name could have influenced the development of our word today.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: BAMBOOZLE

Postby Slava » Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:14 pm

Not only do we have the best Congress money can buy, but the best Supreme Court money can buy, too. Maybe if we elect some real baboons we'll see some work get done?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Debbymoge
Lexiterian

Postby Debbymoge » Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:06 pm

A question of process...
Since it's been around since the 1700s, why is it "colloquial"?
When does something become "standard"?
How does one earn it's stripes, in other words.
I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.
Shakespear

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:14 pm

Here's Dr. Goodword's treatment of the term, with a couple of comments that continue the discussion.

In general, though, colloquial is about how a term is used, not its age in the language.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Re: Bamboozle

Postby Dr. Goodword » Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:22 pm

The standard-colloquial-slang divisions are usually determined by editors, especially dictionary editors. When editors sense that enough established authors are using a slang word, it is promoted to "colloquial". My impression is that the same process applies for the promotion from "colloquial" to "standard".
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Debbymoge
Lexiterian

Re: Bamboozle

Postby Debbymoge » Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:52 am

Thank you both, Slava and Doctor.
I'm clearer on that now.
Hope I can hang on to that level of understanding!
I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.
Shakespear

Return to “Good Word Discussion”