GADABOUT

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

GADABOUT

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:13 pm

• gadabout •

Pronunciation: gæd-ê-bawt • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: Someone who gads about, a wanderer, someone who roves about idly out of curiosity, often spreading rumor and gossip in their wake.

Notes: Today's word comes from the phrase "to gad about", where gad itself has come to mean "to wander from place to place without a particular destination". It is a perfectly guileless word, spelled and pronounced exactly as it should be.

In Play: Gadabouts are basically people who cannot stay at home for long periods, who have to move about: "Oprah who? I'm afraid I'm an incorrigible gadabout who doesn't spend time watching TV." Some gadabouts, however, gallivant around spreading rumors, so this word makes a less jarring alternative to gossip: "I heard from the town gadabout, Miles Overland, that Willy Leaver isn't speaking to his wife."

Word History: Today's Good Word is a jocular turn of phrase based on the facetious verb gad, the origins of which are unclear. The best surmise is that it is a reduction of the phrase, "to flit about like a gadfly". Gadflies are known for their painful, burning bites. Human gadflies are people who annoy and figuratively get under your skin. Gad came from Old Norse gadd-r "spike, nail" from the times when the Vikings were gadflies along the coast of England. (Today we are grateful to Tonia Smith-Kalouria, author of the pun-filled collection of gadabout verse, Aerobic Poetry, for suggesting today's word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:06 pm

No worse than any other, probably, but it comes to mind
with the word 'conclave': we need less traveling
and more lockdowns - as slava suggested with the
congress in the word: Conclave.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Return to “Good Word Discussion”