PERCOLATE

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: PERCOLATE

Postby Philip Hudson » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:33 am

In reference to time spent idly: A Yankee city slicker was driving in Appalachia when he saw a farmer holding a large pig in his apple orchard. The farmer would lift the pig to an apple on a branch and the pig would eat it. The city slicker approached the farmer and suggested he shake the tree, let some apples fall and then let the pig eat them. The farmer wanted to know the advantage of that. The city slicker replied, "It would save time," to which the farmer replied, "What's time to a hog."
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:27 pm

Well, no less than the President of the United States does not agree that percolate means down:
"The United States continues to wrestle with the legacy of race and slavery and segregation, that's still there, the vestiges of discrimination," Obama said. "We've made enormous strides, but you're going to continue to see this percolate up every so often.
Found in this article.

And, though this is a couple of years late, the percUlator spelling may be because it is often pronounced per-kyu-late, as in incubate.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:19 pm

This thread has had a life of its own. I am glad the Percolater Song and the Perculator Song are different. The percolater song is "cute". I don't think I was allowed to watch TV during the era the ad was running. Mother thought it was bad for me. I have discovered that she was pretty much right.

As for Slava's latest contribution, the trickle down theory has long been touted by some. And it doesn't work. Somebody needs to fix the "perculater". Alas, we are now moving into an economy of the super rich. I hope we survive.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”