SQUELCH

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: SQUELCH

Postby Philip Hudson » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:42 pm

Does Southern rap exist? I hope not.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:09 pm

If it ceased to exist everywhere I would not miss it.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Postby call_copse » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:00 am

I appreciate that with senescence comes a reluctance to embrace more recent stylings, but surely anyone with an interest in language might appreciate a musical form such as hip hop which involves plenty of verbal dexterity at a minimum, and some enthralling lingual umbrations at it's best. I say this as a classically trained musician with an interest in most musical forms - though I do not really enjoy jazz for instance it can be a pleasant backdrop to a Sunday lunch.

In terms of rap, being British and a quiet family man, I am fairly averse to braggodocio and the US habit of peppering each other and innocent animals with leaden pellets. However the scope of such music, I can assure you, goes well beyond that kind of thing. Of course, each to their own.
Iain

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:36 pm

Jazz is music of a high and sophisticated nature. It is as worthy of my enjoyment, and I hope the world's enjoyment, as are classical, big band, pops, western (cowboy), ballads, country, hymns, anthems and many other types of music. Even rock. Rap is not music. It doesn't fit the basic description of the art. It has meter of a sort, but what else does it have? It was invented to convey distasteful lyrics and to torment parents of teens.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:29 pm

Actually, rhythm is the sine qua non of music. Winston Marcellus once did a tv series for kids on music. (May still be on YouTube, most things are.) The first episode was on rhythm, which he illustrated with various instruments such as African drums. I too am not attracted by most rap, but on the other hand don't we find an ancestor in Gilbert and Sullivan and jazz skat singing?
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:53 pm

I do believe you meant Winton Marsalis.

There is a Marcellus in New York, but that's a town.

We need a wagging finger/tsk-tsk emoticon.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Postby call_copse » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:03 am

I fully accept anyone's right not to enjoy rap. Most new music has been described as parent tormenting at some point since such things could spread, even boogie-woogie.

However it is very wrong headed to not acccept that such music is as high an art as jazz or any other kind, at least in some incarnations. I say this as someone who has listened to and appreciated many different types of music. I have played in classical orchestras at national level. I can assure you that it is very possible to appreciate such music at an extremely high level.

I don't ask you to open your minds, just accept the possibility.
Iain

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:02 pm

Of course new music that becomes the fad is always deprecated by us olduns. The waltz was said to inflame passions of the youth. The honkey-tonk music from my youth definitely inflamed passions. Rap seems to me to inflame disrespect and disdain for established order and legal authority. Youthful passion doesn't take much to inflame and, usually does no harm. Disrespect and disdain for established order do.

I am not a professional musician but I learned to sing at my mother's knee; with an American public school music theory, band and choral education; and by singing in one of the best non-professional church choirs in the world. I could even honk on an oboe or a sax and (properly) play a drum in my youth. The scope of my musical appreciation is extremely broad. I know what good music is. Rap ain't.

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Postby call_copse » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:28 am

I'm afraid I consider such a sentiment unbecoming, unworthy of you and smacking of rank prejudice Philip. I doubt you have considered the range of musical and lyrical expression that is involved in some of such music though, so perhaps it is understandable. It is not your call to decide on the validity of other's life experiences or indeed art.

I will confess though that disrespect and disdain for established order are some of my favourite things; I'm afraid these authorities have often proven worthy of it. This continues to be shown unfailingly. See Jimmy Savile and any number of recent examples. I reserve my respect for those who properly earn it. I may be a quiet and family oriented chap but I value independence of thought and moral integrity higher than any authority.

I can however greatly enjoy carol services, Mahler or Oscar Peterson while still appreciating music that is (far) noisier and more chaotic.
Iain

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:32 pm

Philip, we are told Bolero created a riot or two. Now I find it a favorite piece for the first half or two-thirds, followed by an odd mix of monotony and a building climax. The rap you allude to is mostly gangsta rap, but the field is wider, even including Christian rap. And then there was the rap concocted by a group of collegiate counselors ribbing their youth camp director (moi). I shall only allude to that, not comment upon it.
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:15 pm

Gentlemen, if I may be so bold, could you perhaps move this musical interlude into the PM section? The discussion of what constitutes music has been going on for centuries, if not millennia. It cannot be resolved, and most definitely not here.

Please?

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:56 pm

Slava: This line has probably gone on much too long and I have engaged in it. It was a fun and instructive course for me. I will cease and desist with my sincere thanks to and respect for all the participants.

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Postby call_copse » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:11 am

Slava: This line has probably gone on much too long and I have engaged in it. It was a fun and instructive course for me. I will cease and desist with my sincere thanks to and respect for all the participants.
Seems fair, +1
Iain

Return to “Good Word Discussion”