TURKEY

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: TURKEY

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:58 pm

oh, now I get it! in England they have seats of authority, here we just have horses' asses!

Starting with what we call "Congress", then working its
way up and down.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:05 pm

As they say, Pro is good and Con is bad.

Progress is good, Congress not quite so.

Then again, why is Constitution good and Prostitution bad? :)
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:25 am

This thread is so great I am almost speechless. "Surely, we are the people and wisdom will die with us." (Adaptation of Job 12:2 from the Hebrew Bible.)
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Postby damoge » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:53 pm

Philip, I much enjoy your quote. Do you know the George Carlin routine about the hippy dippy weatherman?
Everything works out, one way or another

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:25 pm

Damage: I am familiar with that routine. I find Carlin to be very entertaining. Carlin gets a little raunchy on occasion and there are no sacred cows, or anything else sacred, to him. He may have an agenda and it might just be, "Make everything you can imagine funny." If he picks on something dear to my heart, I usually still laugh -- and sometimes I learn.

damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Postby damoge » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:58 am

I must say, you have a unique way of reading my "name"! LOL

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:01 am

I apologize, damoge.

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Postby call_copse » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:56 am

@Philip (last page)
I'd say the standard of food around here has improved measurably over the last ten years. You can even get cabbage that is not over boiled now. Still, I'd love to try a gastronomic tour stateside. New Orleans would be cool I think (I love extra spicy) as well as Texas and New York. I'll add deep fried meats to my wishlist.

I'll try not to sit on this thread any more.
Iain

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:37 pm

I must say, you have a unique way of reading my "name"! LOL

Must be raining again! ! ! and your attitude is damp???

damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Postby damoge » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:56 pm

it's generally raining, but my attitude was sunny. I had never seen my name that way. I always am interested in, and often amused or bemused by misreadings and typos in any setting. That was particularly interesting to me given the state of things around here lately.

I missed the latest "big" storm. Unannounced, it blew in at 161 m.p.h. on the local high ground that sports our local radio tower.
The tower made it through the blow, but succumbed to a loss of power later that week. We are lost without our local radio.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:25 pm

Just teasing you D.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:25 pm

call_copse: A gastronomic tour stateside would blow you away. In addition to ethnic foods such as Mexican, Cajun, English (yes English) and etc., we have great regional foods. There is a major division between the South and the North. Some of that has leveled off. In my youth I could tell whether I was in the South or the North by ordering breakfast sausage. In the South, I would get fried spicy pork patties. In the North I would get links, something like English breakfast sausage, but spicier. That is how I learned that Maryland is in the South. It is not only below the Mason-Dixon line, at the time, they served pork patty sausages at breakfast. The above test no longer works.

Paula Deen (Google her) is the artery clogging, diabetes inducing, wonderful food icon of the South. Julia Childs was the food icon of the North. Perhaps Martha Stewart is now.

Come to Texas for beef barbeque. I recommend Alabama for pork barbeque. I skip the cabrito barbeque but many like it.

This is an English Language discussion, I remind myself. So will not continue.

bamaboy56
Lexiterian

Postby bamaboy56 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:31 pm

I have fried a turkey for the last few years. I did not fry one this year, though, since I had no family coming in this year. Fried turkey is delicious! You have to be very careful and know what you're doing or you'll burn yourself badly. It goes without saying you shouldn't even try to fry one inside any kind of structure or you may burn that down, too. Here in the Deep South we have an overabundance of wild turkeys. I was deer hunting on some private land my wife's family owns. About sunup, I heard the turkeys start gobbling. It was just light enough for me to see them roosting in a tree across the field. They began to fly down to the ground and began moving toward me. Alas, all I had was a deer rifle, no shotgun or anything small caliber enough for turkey. Thirty-five wild turkeys passed by the tree I was in. It's a beautiful thing to see animals in the wild.
Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I'm going to change myself. -- Rumi

Return to “Good Word Discussion”