mash

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
eberntson
Lexiterian

mash

Postby eberntson » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:22 pm

mash (n)

"thing that mashes," c.1500, agent noun from mash (v.). Meaning "would-be lady-killer" is from 1875, American English, perhaps in use from 1860, probably from mash (v.) on notion either of "pressing one's attentions," or of "crushing someone else's emotions" (cf. crush).

He was, to use a Western expression, a 'regular heart-smasher among the women; and it may not be improper to state, just here, that no one had a more exalted opinion of his capabilities in that line than the aforesaid 'Jo' himself. ["Harper's New Monthly Magazine," March 1861]

He had a weakness to be considered a regular masher of female hearts and a very wicked young man with the fair sex generally, but there was not a well-authenticated instance of his ever having broken a heart in his life, nor likely to be one. [Gilbert A. Pierce, "Zachariah, The Congressman," Chicago, 1880]
Also in use late 19c were mash (n.) "a romantic fixation, crush" (1884); mash (v.) "excite sentimental admiration" (1882); mash-note "love letter" (1890).
(Src: etymonline.com)

Related to "masher".
EBERNTSON
Fear less, hope more;
eat less, chew more;
whine less, breathe more;
talk less, say more,
and all good things will be yours.
--R. Burns

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: mash

Postby Perry Lassiter » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:58 pm

I'm pretty sure I had a falling apart book about West Point when I was a teen that used the word mash in that sense.
pl

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Postby MTC » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:25 am

Thanks to eberntson for taking the initiative to post a word for discussion. That said, put this post side by side with one by Dr. Goodword for a rough comparison and you'll see the difference. Where are the expert discussions of meaning, pronunciation, notes, usage, and word history, all tied together in a neat bow and a "thank you?" These shortcomings highlight the benefit Dr. Goodword provides. Unfortunately, despite good intentions, the post goes off track from the start. The etymology of "mash" quoted from Etymoline is actually the etymology of "masher." Check it out for yourselves online. Just throwing a bunch of disorganized quotations against the wall and inviting the group to comment creates more confusion than understanding. Personally, and with respects to eberntson's efforts, I think it's better for Dr. Goodword to a give a worthy word like "mash" his expert treatment, then allow the rest of us amateur etymologists to agree, disagree, or comment as we will. Otherwise we are "fightin' feathers."

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:06 am

In eberntson's defense, I think he intended to post in goodword suggestions and just hit the wrong button.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

eberntson
Lexiterian

Postby eberntson » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:14 pm

Please remove, I did post to the wrong place. It is nice to know that I can post here, but I never would on purpose, it is a realm and responsibility I do not want. I always assumed I would not be able to create a new topic here. I my professional opinion, Software Test Engineer, the is a bug, at best it is a feature. I reposted under Suggestions. My humble apologies to the good doctor.

E
EBERNTSON
Fear less, hope more;
eat less, chew more;
whine less, breathe more;
talk less, say more,
and all good things will be yours.
--R. Burns

Return to “Good Word Discussion”