FIGMENT

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: FIGMENT

Postby Philip Hudson » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:08 pm

Gail: From your description, one can see that Jesus, who blessed the bread and broke it, is master and servant. This is a good though for a communion service.

I need some help from someone. You don't have to be a professional theologian to give me your thoughts. The word "mass" is from the Latin word for dismissal. When is the dismissal in the Catholic Mass pronounced? It is before or after the actual celebration of communion? I have heard that it is, or was, before the actual ceremony and was a request for non-believers to leave the room since the communion was for believers only. Is there anything that can support or refute this statement? I know that in some Landmark* Baptist churches, it is believed obligatory to ask everyone not a communicant of that particular congregation, whatever their beliefs, to leave the sanctuary before the communion. I have visited such churches. The non-members are invited to go to the parish hall for coffee and donuts rather than stay for the bread and wine. Children of the members are also not allowed to be present during communion if they have not been baptized. Baptism, in all Baptist churches, is a rite that is reserved for children when they are old enough to accept the Gospel for themselves. In that way it is similar to confirmation in other Christian churches.

I take communion, or the mass. in every Christian church that allows me to. I think I mentioned before that I took part in a Celtic Mass in England. The communion in my home church is open to all believers.

*Landmark is a Baptist sub-denomination that is mostly in the Tennessee and Arkansas area. It spreads some into Louisiana and Texas. There is one very large Landmark Baptist church in Manhattan that I have attended. It is strange to me that all the other elements of the services in that church are what us red-neck Baptists would call “high church” - introits, confessions of faith, anthems, etc.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:32 am

"The Mass is ended, go in peace," is the celebrant's final statement, although "Go in peace to love and serve the Lord," is the contemporary option. The congregation responds, "Thanks be to God," and that's it unless there is a recessional hymn. [I'll note that it's generally first verse only, or maybe first and last, unless the music director is really gung-ho. Catholics can sing entire hymns, but with a nod to Dara Ó Briain*, "we haven't trained for it!"]

As for your other questions, the short answer is that there's no members only policy. Non-Catholic -- and non-Christian -- guests are welcome to stay for the entire mass. Exceptions exist, but the expectation for Communion is that communicants be RC and in a state of grace. No one asks for credentials if the person acts like they belong; I know Anglicans and Lutherans who receive when visiting without concern for the 'unification' elements of the official policy. If the Eucharistic minister(s) know you aren't Catholic, however, they're supposed to tactfully skip you or offer a blessing if they're ordained.

- - - - - - - - -
How to relate all this back to "figment"? :wink:

* For those unfamiliar with Dara Ó Briain but interested, start with the "mixed marriage" clip. My parents were raised in different denominations, so this one always makes me smile. NB: He cusses a little, too.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:51 am

Baptists are known to tolerate up to three verses in a hymn. The so called contemporary services seem to start out with one seven-eleven chant and keep it up for hours. A seven-eleven song has seven words in it that are repeated eleven, or more, times.

Our discussions seem to have a life of their own and frequently do not relate back to the original Good Word.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:16 pm

In the early Christian Church, the Eucharist
was divided into two parts. The first was
called the Mass of the Catechumens: those
who were studying to become Christians and not
yet baptized. This part consisted of the
readings from the Hebrew Bible, the New Testament
and the Gospels followed by the homily explaining
the scriptures and applying them to daily living.

The Liturgy then was about the enter the
Mass of the Eucharist. This was for the Baptized
only. Herein the unbaptized Catechumens were
dismissed. This is Not the part where the word
Mass comes from.
At the end of the Prayer of Consecration, the
Our Father, the Lamb of God prayers and the
peoples' receiving of the consecrated species,
the concluding prayer was said and then
the dismissal. The words were "Ite Missa est",
"go you are dismissed", or "go, this is dismissal".
This was the era when Latin was the "lingua franca'
of the people. It is from Ite Missa est that
the word "mass" derives: at the very end of the
service: dismissal.

Hope this helps.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:22 pm

Amen.
pl

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:43 pm

With Gail and Luke's help, I feel that I now have a PhD in Theology. Thanks a lot!

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:44 pm

Well, you're no Jesuit yet, but it's a start.
:D

Return to “Good Word Discussion”