TYCOON

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: TYCOON

Postby Philip Hudson » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:41 pm

Slava: Alaska and Hawaii were part of the US during WW II. US territories have always been considered a part of the US. Puerto Rico is part of the US at present.

Gail: We may have mislead you about birthers. It is the word I didn't know, not the phenomenon. I do not recall this word from newspapers and TV during the first Obama campaign and term in office. I think we are all aware that there were people questioning his citizenship. I believe he was born in Hawaii as he says he was. Under US law the child of a citizen of the US is a citizen of the US no matter where she/he was born. George Romney, Mitt Romney's father, was born in Mexico to a family of self imposed exiles. But he was a natural born US citizen because his father was a US citizen. The entire question of whether one is a natural born citizen of the US is easily answered. I do believe that President Obama quite enjoyed the brouhaha over his citizenship, especially Trump's questioning it. I know I would have.

I am concerned about dual citizenship. The US permits dual citizenship and I think it is wrong. One of my nephews married a woman who was born with three citizenships. Her father was Puerto Rican and hence a US Citizen. Her mother was a citizen of Spain and she was born in England. She chose to renounce her non-US citizenships when she was 21, the correct choice as I see it. But perhaps this is too political to discuss here.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:29 pm

I don't know exactly how it reads, but the oath of
citizenship "renounces all foreign powers and potentates".
How can there be dual citizenship? I don't understand
nor agree with it.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:59 pm

I know that Luke. But I just read about dual citizenship from official government documentation.

I was mistaken about all people born in US territories being citizens. I believe this is presently the case, but it has not always been so. Citizens of the Philippines and Cuba were never US citizens even though they were once a US territory.

England and The Netherlands have had a mort of trouble over their having granted their colonies citizenship. There was an unexpected influx of Indians to England and Indonesians to The Netherlands when India and Indonesia became independent. I have friends who were among that number.

Many dictionaries do not include the word mort as meaning a great amount, but it does. I first encountered the word in the book “Precious Bane” by Mary Webb. See: http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictio ... rican/mort
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:06 am

I suppose we could look it up. I know Puerto Ricans
are citizens, but I don't know about the other
territories, like Guam, Northern Mariannas Islands.
Alaska and Hawaii were organized territories like
the other lower 48 minus the Original Thirteen.

misterdoe
Senior Lexiterian

Postby misterdoe » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:32 pm

...it's hard to believe there are those who may believe that Hawaii is not part of the U.S. Just saying.
Back when the Summer Olympics were in Los Angeles, someone from New Mexico called the ticketing center to buy tickets only to be told that the tickets were for sale in the US only. When the caller clarified that she was calling from New Mexico, the customer service rep retorted, "I don't care if you're calling from Old Mexico, the tickets are for sale in the US only!" and hung up on the caller. :!:

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:29 am

I personally believe that some U.S. Americans are unable to locate New Mexico because, uh, some people out there in our nation don't have maps and, uh, such as ...
:lol:

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:54 am

Geography is one of the most abused of American School
subjects.
Yesterday on "Jeopardy", the final question:
The three major North American Countries
{Canada, USA, Mexico} have a combined
set of 91 provinces or states. How many are in Mexico?

Excellent question. Only one got it right.
(And I did as well, yay me!) I love geography.

misterdoe
Senior Lexiterian

Postby misterdoe » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:34 pm

Tycoon is one thing I'd call Mr Trump... I'll refrain from mentioning other epitaphs suitable for deployment.
Wow. I find Trump loathsome at times roo, but you would resort to throwing gravestones at him? Or did you mean epithets? :wink:

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:31 pm

More likely a death wish to inscribe on his tombstone?
pl

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:54 pm

Good catch, misterdoe! Apparently the same "Freudian slip" occurred in the vision centers of the Agorans, since we all accepted it as-written. :wink:

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Postby call_copse » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:36 am

Tycoon is one thing I'd call Mr Trump... I'll refrain from mentioning other epitaphs suitable for deployment.
Wow. I find Trump loathsome at times roo, but you would resort to throwing gravestones at him? Or did you mean epithets? :wink:
Just goes to show that the most wearisome pedants among us can still malaprop it up with the best of them. Death wish would be a tad harsh even for me.

I'm not possessed of a pouch for my young though? :D
Iain

misterdoe
Senior Lexiterian

Postby misterdoe » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:38 pm

I'm not possessed of a pouch for my young though? :D
You lost me with that one, at first, until I went back and read my comment again. I meant, of course, loathsome at times too, not roo. :oops: And I know you didn't actually say anything about throwing, but when I see "deploy" I think of firing weapons. :?

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:56 pm

Connotations are fascinating. When I see deploy, I think of people scattering out on assignment, especially troops, but not limited thereunto.
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:45 pm

Connotations are fascinating. When I see deploy, I think of people scattering out on assignment, especially troops, but not limited thereunto.
When you get hired, you are employed. Why aren't you deployed when you get fired?

I see that the main meaning for this word is military, but I usually use it in a civil way.

During the last big snowstorm the city had to deploy all its equipment.
I had to deploy all my skills to pass that last test.
Mr. Politician deployed every rhetorical trick he could come up with during the latest debate.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

bamaboy56
Lexiterian

Postby bamaboy56 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:29 pm

Not to mention U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, American Samoa, the Northern Marianas (since 1986) and the Virgin Islands. I was just past toddler-hood when Hawaii and Alaska were made State 49 and 50 but I still get a kick out of telling younger people (by "young" I mean those who don't know who Roy Rogers is) that I was alive when those two states were added. It's funny to see the looks on their faces.
Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I'm going to change myself. -- Rumi

Return to “Good Word Discussion”