BIJOU

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
bamaboy56
Lexiterian

Re: BIJOU

Postby bamaboy56 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:08 pm

Two other things I remember about the drive-in was (1) the big, chunky looking speaker you had to hang from the driver's side window so you could hear the movie and (2) the big children's playground area located right under the big movie screen. My family would get there early enough so us kids could play at the playground while we waited for it to get dark enough to see the movie. The thought of child abduction and/or playground injury never even entered our minds. Simpler times! Thanks for the memories.
Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I'm going to change myself. -- Rumi

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:33 am

We had two drive-in movie screens [there's another regional good word distinction: drive-in movie or outdoor theater ?] facing each other. Local pundits noted that a "family-friendly" choice would be playing on the one the family car was parked art, while the dads watched the "R" film on the other screen in the rear view mirror.

There was considerable superstitious excitement when a lightening bolt fried the "kid's movie" screen one night -- leaving The Exorcist to continue playing unscathed... :twisted:

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:07 pm

In earlier times many movies were shown in a building during the winter and outdoor, walk not drive in, in the summer. My wife's grandfather owned such a movie business in Oklahoma and my parents attended the picture show under the stars when they were young. Drive in movies were popular in my youth, but I cannot imagine why. In South Texas the summer temperature is often over 100 deg F way after dark. The Rialto Theater was the first air conditioned building in my home town.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”