Sally

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Sally

Postby Dr. Goodword » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:43 pm

• sally •

Pronunciation: sæ-lee • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Verb

Meaning: (Often used with forth) 1. To suddenly rush out aggressively, to sortie. 2. To set out confidently on a trip or other venture.

Notes: This verb may be used as a noun as in: After the futile sally, the commander gave his troops a rest. Today's word is not to be confused with the given name Sally, which originally was a nickname for Sarah. Also, remember to change the Y to I before any suffix beginning with an E: sallied, sallied, but not those beginning with I: sallying.

In Play: Today's Good Word implies leaving and entering into a new venture: "When the boss asked for a volunteer to take customer complaints, Ben Dover sallied forth to offer his services." There are overtones of self-confidence and adventure that attach themselves to this word: "As soon as they arrived, the children sallied forth to explore the house of their grandparents."

Word History: Today's Good Word from Middle French saillie "a rushing forth", a noun concocted from past participle of saillir "to leap, rush forward". French inherited this word from Latin salire "to spring, leap (out)", ultimate source of English salient. (Things salient jump out at you.) Another English word coming from this same Proto-Indo-European root is somersault. It was originally an old Provencal compound noun, sobresaut, made up of sobre "above, over", the Provencal result of Latin super "over, above" + saut, from Latin saltus "a jump, leap". Old French borrowed this version of the word as sombresault at which point English borrowed it, and simplified the consonant cluster MBR to just M. (We must all now sally forth and thank Gene DuBose for spotting today's Good Word and suggesting it.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Sally

Postby Perry Lassiter » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:11 pm

A couple of incidental thoughts came to mind.

I understand salient as jumping out at you, but always thought of it as a synonym of wise or wisely relevant.

I don't understand a number of nicknames such as Sally for Sarah. Harry from Harold, sure, but Jack from John? What kind of etymology explains such leaps?
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:35 pm

I don't understand a number of nicknames such as Sally for Sarah. Harry from Harold, sure, but Jack from John? What kind of etymology explains such leaps?
Here's a site that you might of assistance in explicating these quandaries.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

sardith
Lexiterian

Postby sardith » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:39 am

Hi Doc,

I was wondering if sally, the 'quippy' noun, was going to be tomorrow's Goodword?

Sardith :mrgreen:
“The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.”
~Mark Twain, [pen name for Samuel Clemens], American author and humorist, (1835-1910)~

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:49 am

Here's a site that you might of assistance in explicating these quandaries.

Great reference, Slava, I use that site and its companion
for surnames frequently.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Postby MTC » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:03 pm

I understand salient as jumping out at you, but always thought of it as a synonym of wise or wisely relevant.
You were thinking of sapient, Perry:

sa·pi·ent (sp-nt)
adj.
Having great wisdom and discernment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Middle English, from Old French, from Latin sapins, sapient-, present participle of sapere, to taste, be wise; see sep- in Indo-European roots.]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sapi·ence n.
sapi·ent·ly adv.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:49 pm

Anyone who missed sally as a Goodword Suggestion might want to review the thread of responses to it.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:58 pm

Anyone who missed sally as a Goodword Suggestion might want to review the thread of responses to it.
The Goodword Suggestion on the Agora is here. But, is Sardith a Gene? :?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:22 am

Slava asks, "Is Sardith a Gene?" Some of us use nom de plumes to participate in the Agora. Some of us just put our names out for everyone to see. Sardith may want to maintain some remoteness by using a pen name. So I am not asking.

sardith
Lexiterian

Postby sardith » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:47 am

Friends,

I hope that it was not objectionable, but I mentioned Dr. Goodword following the verb 'sally' article with the noun 'sally' version, because I was pleased and hopeful, not because I was unaware of our conversation in the Goodword Suggestion thread. (I'm in on those discussions, after all.)

I'm not sure if it is the innate flatness of text communications, but there are times I think I've erred in my questions, or in where I have placed my questions, based on the responses that follow. That's the last thing I'd desire.

I'm still operating on the maxim that, "The only stupid question is the one you don't ask," and until I know differently, I'll believe it is fine to go ahead with my questions.

Thanks for listening,
Sardith :mrgreen:
p.s. My name is Susan Ardith Lee, but I use Sardith for my email and when I signed up for Alpha, I didn't know about user names, or computers, (I think I'd had mine for less than a month), and that's why I ended up with that nom de plumes, and as far as I can tell, there is no way to change your user name, (without starting all over, I guess), much as I'd like to.
“The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.”
~Mark Twain, [pen name for Samuel Clemens], American author and humorist, (1835-1910)~

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:44 am

Well put, Sardith. A rose by any name would smell just as sweet. I might adopt a nom de plume, but then I would forget it; the same as I forget all my passwords and pin numbers.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”