Swarthy

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Re: Swarthy

Postby call_copse » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:57 am

You could apply the formula first pet name plus mother's maiden name to derive a street name. For myself this would yield Mango Organ, so I think I'll leave that unless I decide to go into adult movies or similar :)
Iain

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:23 pm

Moore, Morris, Morrison, Morse, and similar names can be traced to the Moors who once ruled Spain. There are other sources, such as the English word moor, as in Dickinson’s “I never saw a moor”. The word can be identified with people who are swarthy.

My family tradition says we are Black Irish, Black Dutch, maybe even Black German. My family tend to be swarthy with very black hair and blue, green, or, in my case, swamp colored eyes. We are certifiably from Germany, England, and Ireland. My sisters are so swarthy that they are assumed to be Mexicans by many people who do not know them. They are frequently addressed in Spanish here in Tex-Mex land. It was once common for a man whose wife was a swarthy Amerind, African, etc. to claim she was Black Dutch. It was a key word for “of mixed race” or “of color”. I am glad that these attributes can now be used without prejudice among an increasingly large number of people, including all Agorans.

There is a child's song that says we are "red and yellow, black and white". But that is not so. We all tend to be ruddy (pinkish) or swarthy.

Now, where did Arnold Schwarzenegger get his family name?
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:28 pm

Now, where did Arnold Schwarzenegger get his family name?
Here are a couple of quite thorough answers:

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=2153532

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/t ... 0871574422
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”